The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Would you run NAHRA if your club, or nearby club were to host an event?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

106 69.28%
  • No

47 30.72%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you run if it were offered?

So, maybe the next question is, If some NAHRA judges would judge at a field test for free, would your club be willing to host a NAHRA field test?
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tilleraas View Post
    So a trained HRCH and MH ??? Been with a few AFC and FC's in South Dakota that couldn't find a tweedy bird much less sit to their flush! regards!
    Actually...the OP was my dog's breeder. I was just giving him some $&@t. I don't know of any clubs around here but, as was mentioned before, it might be hard to schedule an open weekend. Otherwise, I don't know why I wouldn't run.

Some time these threads get a little intense...I was trying to inject a little levity into the discussions at Dave's expense. Sorry if anyone was offended!

BTW, my dog WILL sit at his flush! ;0)
    Last edited by Spag; 03-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

I started in NAHRA years ago. There were HTs every weekend in VA, NC, MD, etc and you could pretty much run them and still sleep in our own bed. Moved away to an area with no NAHRA and returned and there was no NAHRA after the big blow up and all the NAHRA clubs had become HRC clubs, for the most part.

I would run one again if they were around. They were a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spag View Post
    Actually...the OP was my dog's breeder. I was just giving him some $&@t. I don't know of any clubs around here but, as was mentioned before, it might be hard to schedule an open weekend. Otherwise, I don't know why I wouldn't run.

Some time these threads get a little intense...I was trying to inject a little levity into the discussions at Dave's expense. Sorry if anyone was offended!

sorry, didn't know you were kidding - give me a smiley face next time! Anything at Dave's expense if fine by me!!

I run both AKC and NAHRA, and find them pretty comparable in degree of difficulty. It really depends on the judges, as you would expect. I think, overall, the AKC marks are more technical, and therefore harder if you don't have technical water on which to train, but NAHRA makes up for that with requiring two skills that AKC ignores, the trail and upland. And I'm saying this from the perspective of having run primarily in the mid-atlantic for my AKC experience, although I did have an enjoyable double master in Colorado a couple years ago that I thought was tougher than the usual test back east (got a quad in both). But the toughest test I ever ran was the NAHRA Invitational in Spokane in 2010; much tougher than anything I've seen in AKC.

So to each his own, but I think folks would enjoy trying other venues. I know I had fun at my one HRC test in Wyoming on the way back from Spokane, and intend to get to some tests back east when the schedule permits. I also enjoy having my head handed to me in Q's - it's all fun if you have the right attitude and don't take yourself too seriously. And it is nice to get two tests in one weekend with a Saturday start and back on the road early Sunday afternoon, after spending time in the gallery with people that actually run their own dog.
    Last edited by Larry Housman; 03-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Spag View Post
    Sit to flush:
    SitToFlush.jpg

vs
    Upland...

Spag, Like Larry said throw a wink in there and we all would have taken it a bit easier on ya! If memory serves me correct ask Dave about a a few years back at the invitational ; ).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Sit to flush:
    SitToFlush.jpg

vs
    Upland...
    I think that's flush after he sits...no he won't do that. Probably because he hasn't been trained to do that yet....but he probably could.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tilleraas View Post
    Spag, Like Larry said throw a wink in there and we all would have taken it a bit easier on ya! If memory serves me correct ask Dave about a a few years back at the invitational ; ).
    I've tried to forget that .... thanks Travis lol, that little bastard still breaks at 11 years old!!
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

It has been a long time since I have run either. NAHRA was always a lot of fun. Almost everyone involved was a hunter. NAHRA tests did not usually have the technical difficulty of AKC. But, the NAHRA tests were hard in a completely different manner. You would see judges incorporate things that would actually happen while hunting. There also didn't seem to be the pressure to get done.

Tom
    Tom Wall