The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Judges Question - Derby

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition

Could the judges have been more lenient and marked the situation in their books as "controlled break"? Perhaps, or perhaps not, it depends on everything their eyes ears and senses took in throughout the test and most importantly to be fair to all competitors if they truly believed this was a C.B..
    That is why it is called judging and not score keeping.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

In an AKC Derby where controlled breaks are allowed, should a dog whose marks are head and shoulders ahead of the field be placed lower if it has one?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    In an AKC Derby where controlled breaks are allowed, should a dog whose marks are head and shoulders ahead of the field be placed lower if it has one?

john
    Allowed = a moderate fault vs ellimination.

you just don't pretend it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    If I were running a double in a trial, and the longer/ more difficult bird to get to was the flier, I think I might kiss the judges

john
    Are you serious? I'm not sure if Ted has this in his book but it is CERTAINLY in mine!
    Last edited by Jason Brion; 03-11-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA
    HR Ruff River's Black Magic Marker MH QAA
    HRCH JLB Rough's Roman Goddess MH QAA
    HR JLB Steady As A Rock JH

Quote Originally Posted by BBnumber1 View Post
    I have been following this and I have a question. Several people have said that this is a controlled break based on the rules. This is the rule that I see:

In the case described, no mention was made about the dog creeping or moving forward. It seems to me that under this portion of the rules, talking to the dog, if the the dog has not moved, is not a controlled break. It is an offense, which is not specifically spelled out in the rule book, as minor, moderate, or severe. It is mentioned here with no specific level of severity, although the next sentence addresses hand signals as a 'penalty', and not requiring dismissal. Based on these sections, I would consider talking to the dog, absent motion by the dog, as an infraction by the handler, probably comparable to a controlled break, but not a controlled break.

Is there another section of the rules that I missed, that does not include a reference to the dog moving?
    This is how I look at it as well. If it is all about the dogs then judge the dogs equally. I personally would be pissed off if I got a placement after doing something that would have cost someone else to lose a placement. There is a period of learning with this sport (and most I would imagine) and to send the wrong message from the beginning shouldn't be apart of it. What's next?
    Last edited by Jason Brion; 03-11-2014 at 12:49 AM.
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    Originally Posted by john fallon

john
    Allowed = a moderate fault vs ellimination.

you just don't pretend it didn't happen
    In the Derby, where you have been instructed that MARKING IS ALL IMPORTANT(?), and we are not talking about two dogs that are knoted up, we are talking about a dog whose marks are head and shoulders ahead of the field. What would you do ???

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brion View Post
    This is how I look at it as well. If it is all about the dogs then judge the dogs equally. I personally would be pissed off if I got a placement after doing something that would have cost someone else to lose a placement. There is a period of learning with this sport (and most I would imagine) and to send the wrong message from the beginning shouldn't be apart of it. What's next?
    The remedy for that would be to put your dog on lead and go to the truck if it did something so wrong that you thought it might cost someone else a placement. Why wait? That would send a pretty good message.
    Bill Davis

Absolutely
    Jason Brion
    www.jlbretrievers.com

HRCH Brion's Zoey MH QAA