The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *GDG* Had To Vent This *GDG*

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    Hoping not to offend, but this is not a dog problem but a people problem.
    +1 indeed

Glad to hear your dogs were ok for the most part. Think its time for 4 dogs and a wife to be put through obedience training.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

All I can say is your a VERY LUCKY man.If that car and or person that hit your animal was injured or car damaged.Guess who's liable? May be a good time to review your homeowners insurance as it seems the circus is going to continue. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Some States require that a person hitting a dog attempt to find the owner, All states hold the owner of the dog liable for all damage to cars and humans caused by loose dogs. Teaching dogs not to leave the property isn't particularly hard, and fencing can be much cheaper than vet bills.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    Some States require that a person hitting a dog attempt to find the owner, All states hold the owner of the dog liable for all damage to cars and humans caused by loose dogs. Teaching dogs not to leave the property isn't particularly hard, and fencing can be much cheaper than vet bills.

Highlighted part is pretty interesting since it is my understanding that at least some western states have "open range" laws where if you hit someone's cow out on the road, not only is the cow owner not liable for damage to your vehicle, YOU have to pay for the cow.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    Exactly right!! One, My wife would NEVER be alowed to touch my Lab again, 2: She don't want to train obedience, let her azz chase the stupid ankle biters down. 3:, Repeat 1 &2!! She shoundn't be alowed to own the dogs.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Highlighted part is pretty interesting since it is my understanding that at least some western states have "open range" laws where if you hit someone's cow out on the road, not only is the cow owner not liable for damage to your vehicle, YOU have to pay for the cow.
    That's only on farm to market roads.

That is probably my biggest fear. My girlfriend has never had a dog. The dog I have now is bullet proof. He could probably take care of himself. We are picking up a BLM this Thursday and we have had many come to Jesus talks about how this is going to work as far as taking the dog outside. I got the blessing of having parents who always have excellent dogs. My dad was a cutting horse and stock dog trainer. I just hope she has learned enough from what I'm teaching her. I'm glad your pup was ok. Definitely a blessing.

Glad your dog is relatively ok!

We used to have a redbone coonhound female that basically had no recall when she was on a scent. She wasn't food motivated, or praise motivated, or anything motivated, and didn't handle pressure well at all, so nothing ever worked when she would slip out and get away. We'd have to do basically what you did...search the neighborhood and then call and cajole and pray she came to us even though something else smelled better and had her attention.

We finally figured out a way to keep her from sneaking out, which may help you while you work on training your wife to work on obedience with all the dogs. We re-did the front steps to our home, and added a small deck/landing. I think it's only 6X8. Then at the top of the stairs, my husband built a gate type door with a gate latch the dog couldn't un-do. The new rule was everyone ALWAYS latches the gate no matter what, and we had very few problems after that.

That coonhound was a sneaky girl, and would watch you until you weren't looking and sneak out when you least expected it, but would be trapped on that little deck It was just high enough that she couldn't tell how far down to the ground it was by looking through the childproof slats on the deck railings, so she wouldn't try to jump the railing.

I would guess almost everyone that has owned a dog has experienced one of these jailbreaks. Pointing fingers & laying blame after the fact doesn't help. Dustin, I am certain your wife beat herself up way more than you did. Give her a few more days & talk to her about obedience training with the little dogs.

Sit her down & make her watch Dog Whisperer. The idea that the dogs feel they own & control her may provide motivation enough to make some changes. She is in no way is ready for the Mark Land/Lonnie Spann dog training school. However a basic obedience class would provide a world of benefit.

The nature of these games provides enough friction in a relationship. Don't make it worse. Thank the Lord that all came home safely!!
    Mark Land

As stated above, don't be angry, just be thankful. In the end, you can train a lab until you think it is an absolute rock star. It will still wander off to see the world when given an opportunity and only come home once it is hungry. That is the nature of the beast.

My wife learns better from almost anyone other than me. While your wife feels really guilty and before you make her angry by rubbing her face in it, sign both yourself and her up for an open basic obedience class, you with your pup and her with the worst of her three. I strongly advise every working dog take all levels of obedience to include testing out as CGC regardless of handler experience. There is no better venue to train a pup that he must obey you amid chaos and distraction than the average obedience class full of idiot potlickers and the people they drag into public.

Nate