The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I get frozen birds for training?

I always save brids from the season in my freezer for off season work. This year especially since I had a new pup. Maybe also check out some of the local gun clubs and see if anyone has any birds stashed away.

That's how I do it. I try to save birds from season

So how long would it take you to drive down Rt 5 to 301 Cheltenham?That's were you want to get help introducing puppy to birds and then some.
    Start by contacting Tony Hunt, he can probably help you out.
    From akc judges search so not positive current info
    (240) 681-3540
    tonyhunt@sundun.com
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Thanks all. Great info!

Paul Young: Thanks. I'll call Bob Cathey. $35 for 4 mallards + shipping is not bad.

Willie Alderson, Scott Huffman, E Thompson: Last December, less than a week before I found my Lab puppy from a breeder, 3 friends and I went upland hunting and bagged 15 pheasants & chuckars. Our guide cleaned the birds right there in the field. Dumb me didn't think to save any of the wings... except 2 rooster feathers for my mantlepiece. Last night I taped 1 feather to a canvas dummy, and my little 13 week old chocolate ankle-biter went wild over the new "dummy" and its interesting scents/flavors. Live & learn!

Freezeland & dc73nova: Much thanks. I'll send you a PM. I missed the opportunity on 1 March to take the pup out just to get exposure to other sights/smells/noises/dogs.

Pwyxit63 & DoubleHaul: Thanks. I sent them an email asking for price info.

Breck: Cheltenham is not far at all. I'll reach out to Tony Hunt if I can get them from Bob Cathey.

Don't worry about buying frozen birds or wings or what ever you're thinking. Just contact Tony, have a chat and see if he will help you or connect you with other folks nearby. They have access to plenty of birds.
    Frozen birds are not the first choice for puppy introduction. Ideally for a little puppy you will want to introduce them to live wing clipped pidgeons or maybe smallish hen ducks. Once you see puppy is happy happy about birds the use of birds will be shelved for while as you work on basics using bumpers as using steady diet of birds with a baby puppy can only lead to troubles.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

The perfect birds are domestic call ducks....perfect size and usually available for under $10

Another source is whistling Wings in Hanover, Ill. They'll freeze and ship. You won't find them with a web page as they were raided several years ago by the AR folks who damaged the place. So, they keep a low profile. I've used them from time to time with good success.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I'm 20 min south of Cheltenham. Have plenty of birds in freezer. Send me a pm.

Hi all. Sincere thanks again for all your guidance and offers to provide frozen birds. I got in touch with a breeder in Sterling, VA who gave me 4 frozen ducks.

And... drum roll... at just 13 weeks old, I've got my female chocolate lab retrieving frozen teals to hand at a distance of ~15 yards, 5 retrieves in a row. I stop after 5 throws and keep her excited about the "game."

I can post a video if anyone's interested; I'm a very proud papa.

Thats great Houston. If you haven't already you should consider getting a formal training program like smart works, Lardy's TRT2 etc. The next Rappahannock River Retriever Club training day in April is closed to members only as we are preparing to put on a hunt test April 12th & 13th. Your welcome to come out and watch that Hunt Test. Also I am training for that upcoming hunt test if your looking for anyone to do some training with.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)