The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy

Default Puppy

I got a pup 3 weeks ago. she is now 12 weeks old. I have her playing fetch like crazy inside (always bringing it back) and I tried outside today and its like theres just to many distractions. so I stopped because didn't want to start bad habits and continued inside. I know the goal is make her crazy for fetch but how long until I should try outside, she has the drive. thanks

Where is outside? the backyard, a park, a field? You can put a rope on her and begin teaching the here command when she gets to the object to encourage her to bring it back. She is 12 weeks, don't expect much. They have a very limited attention span that young.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

yes I was in the back yard. I put a 30 ft check cord but was worried about forcing her to early. Just watching videos on 12 week labs bringing it back had me frustrated because she has incredible bloodlines. I will keep it fun until 4 months then try to get more aggressive. thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by okiereb View Post
    yes I was in the back yard. I put a 30 ft check cord but was worried about forcing her to early. Just watching videos on 12 week labs bringing it back had me frustrated because she has incredible bloodlines. I will keep it fun until 4 months then try to get more aggressive. thanks for the feedback.
    I saw your looking for a pro. Thats great. Most dog's go off to the pro's around 7 months of age or so. I'm sure you will have one selected way before then. Be sure to inquire what the pro would like you to work on before sending their way. It may most likely be just basic OB stuff. You dont want them spending a great deal of their time you are paying for undoing to many mistakes made by an enthusiastic and inexperienced owner.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Yeah, the long lead and also- take her outside to your "training area" a few times- without retrieving, just some on leash ob. That will condition her to working through the distractions while you are able to enforce your control. Then you incorporate the retrieves- as a reward while still able to maintain control with the leash. She will learn alot quickly that way. And then keep taking it new places.

Teaching her about how to handle distractions by getting into work mode now - will go miles later.

Edit: I didn't mention force or pressure- this is about exposure- keep it upbeat and be more interesting than the surroundings. 3-5 minutes at a time is enough and spend that time on three different activities to keep the pup engaged
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 03-06-2014 at 09:19 PM.

ok that's great advice from both of you. good way to look at it freezeland. im simply trying to build desire. I have taught sit but nothing more at this age. just stating it would make fetch a lot more fun outside if she brought it back. that is exactly why im sending her to a pro because im clearly not patient enough. thank you all. I will try what you said for sure

Another thing to consider- by 12 weeks your pups immune system is pretty solid- I like taking my pup everywhere from 12-16 weeks that I can. Lots of truck rides in and out of a kennel. And if I stop to get gas or whatever- pup gets aired out and does a little on leash ob- like about long enough to fill the tank... And then (if retrieving enthusiastically/ reliably) one or two fun bumpers on long leash. So that can be going to get groceries or going out to eat or whatever- spending time in a dog box is part of the life too.

Basically you will find that there are tons 3 -5 minute windows throughout the day to do this stuff- all over the place. The more places the better. The world is your training ground at this point. Enjoy not needing a technical pond and wingers etc, and bask in the delight of training your future duck dog, mh or FC at this stage.

sounds like you know a heck of a lot! I do take her literally everywhere with us. Mcdonalds anything. but I haven't tried the small training exercises in the mean time! I will work on small things and just let it happen the day she brings it back outside. I haven't had her to terribly long so I guess I should put that into perspective as well. glad I wrote on this forum

I just repeat things that I have heard people I admire, whose dogs I admire- say, as long as it has worked for me as well.

I was very impatient with my pup and thought the same and he has turned out fine. Just be patient and have fun!