The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie Pup Help!

Default Chessie Pup Help!

I married my husband 10 years ago and he came with a 4 yr old Labrador. She was phenomenal and introduced me to the world of dog obedience and hunt retrieving.

She passed away in 2012 and it took us a while to recover, she was one in a million.

We finally agreed that we were ready for a new retriever but both felt that we should avoid Labradors least we constantly compare them to our old Lab. We looked at several breeds and even had a deposit down on an American Water Spaniel litter before backing out.

In September my husband told me about an upcoming litter of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers that were from a Master Hunt Stud and a Senior Hunt Bitch. We met the breeder and the bitch and eventually the pups and it all felt right. My husband is a Veterinarian and I am a Vet Tech so we both have experience working with all kinds of breeds on a daily basis but Chessie's were fairly new to us.

We put down our deposit on a promising female who was very "birdy" and picked her up when she was 8 wks old.

We expected to confront some differences in this breed compared to a Lab, we expected more stubbornness, more independence, and possibly some aggressive tendencies.

We weren't wrong.

She has exhibited every kind of dominance, she has tried to possess her food, her toys, her kennel, and most recently the water bowl. Each time we correct her behavior and the behavior subsides somewhat. All that doesn't bother us so much as her unwillingness to please does. She seems to only work for her own benefit. Retrieving is a game for her, she has no interest in bringing "her toy" back to you she just expects you to throw it when she wants to play.

More specifically, when my husband works her on or off the lead he has her heal and sit and wait while he throws the dummy (we've tried several kinds of dummies, even real bird wings). She is great, waiting patiently for the release when she is told to "Fetch." She makes a straight line to it and snatches it up, then proceeds to run circles around my husband completely indifferent to the command "Here." which she obeys on other occasions. She won't bring the dummy back ever! She doesn't care if you're excited, angry, or whatever, she seems to want us to chase her or something.

I need someone to tell me that she will grow out of this, it's just a puppy phase. I need reassurance that this Chessie's stubbornness isn't really selfishness. Do Chessie's have no desire to please, or engage with their owners? She seems to like us well enough otherwise.

Currently, she is 50lbs and just turned 5 months old and our hope was turn her into a Field Trial competitor but at this point my husband is just worried about getting a decent duck hunting dog out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by HoytHunt View Post
    She has exhibited every kind of dominance, she has tried to possess her food, her toys, her kennel, and most recently the water bowl. Each time we correct her behavior and the behavior subsides somewhat. All that doesn't bother us so much as her unwillingness to please does. She seems to only work for her own benefit. Retrieving is a game for her, she has no interest in bringing "her toy" back to you she just expects you to throw it when she wants to play.

More specifically, when my husband works her on or off the lead he has her heal and sit and wait while he throws the dummy (we've tried several kinds of dummies, even real bird wings). She is great, waiting patiently for the release when she is told to "Fetch." She makes a straight line to it and snatches it up, then proceeds to run circles around my husband completely indifferent to the command "Here." which she obeys on other occasions. She won't bring the dummy back ever! She doesn't care if you're excited, angry, or whatever, she seems to want us to chase her or something.

I need someone to tell me that she will grow out of this, it's just a puppy phase. I need reassurance that this Chessie's stubbornness isn't really selfishness. Do Chessie's have no desire to please, or engage with their owners? She seems to like us well enough otherwise.

Currently, she is 50lbs and just turned 5 months old and our hope was turn her into a Field Trial competitor but at this point my husband is just worried about getting a decent duck hunting dog out of her.
    I'm not an expert, but I do have some experience with Chessies and am a proud owner of a male Chessie as well, so maybe some of my experience will help.

Our male seemed to be very dominant as a pup in our household. He tested his boundaries alot. He was a nippy biter (which took alot of work to quell) and he would frequently try to assert himself and lay claim to many different things. It took ALOT of consistency for him to calm down and accept his position in the household. "Nothing in Life is Free" is a really helpful concept with Chessies, and it was definitely the way to go in our household. It worked wonders.

I mistakenly thought that his seemingly dominant behavior in our house meant that he was an uber-dominant dog with other dogs. Not so in our case, at his puppy obedience class, he proved to be pretty middle of the road. I really think that he was just testing boundaries with us, and needed to experience where he fit in and where his place was. He's great now at a little over 1 year. Hardly ever an issue now.

As far as wanting your dog to "want to please" you, I haven't found that the Chessies I've owned have been super eager to please like a Lab might be. In my experience, a Chessie is a partner, who you work together with, a best friend, but I haven't experienced one whose sole goal is to please me. One of the beauties of having a chessie, is that they are super smart and think for themselves. Maybe there are Chessies that are super eager to please their master simply to please their master, but that's not what I've experienced.

If you want your chessie to do what you want her to do, first of all, I'd work on bonding more deeply with her. The tighter you are with her, the more she'll consider doing what you want even if she wants to do something else.

As far as retrieving goes, use a check cord. Throw the dummy, and then enforce the "here" command with the check cord. Don't throw the dummy for her unless you can enforce the "here". She thinks she's playing a different game than you think you're playing. She thinks she's playing chase with you, which she loves. Try throwing just a few times, and make sure you end a session on a good note, where she brings the dummy back to you, even if you have to enforce it with the check cord. Make sure you give her lots of praise when she gets to you with the dummy, even if you had to tow her there.

She will grow out of alot of the puppy behavior. With proper training, she'll probably outgrow most of the dominance issues too, once she finds her place in the family. As far as personality goes though, she will probably never be uber-eager to do whatever you want just because you tell her to. Chessies are independent thinkers. As your bond with her gets stronger, she'll get to a point where she does want to do what you want her to though....most of the time Chessie's are incredibly loyal and wonderful companions, but they do think for themselves. They're not going to be thinking "What do you want me to do for you next?", but you can look forward to "What are we going to do together next?"

Chessie Nation is going to see this, marshall their troops and tell you everything is going to be just fine. I'll pray for you. Most dogs are in it for themselves to some degree it's up to us to train in the good and train out the bad. If you have no experience with chessies it might not hurt to engage a knowledgeable trainer to help you and your dog build a good foundation. I personally like the breed sometimes and sometimes I wonder why I have one. That goes with the territory with these dogs
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I've had plenty of snotty CBR pups that acted just like yours and I personally think the better dogs are the ones that have a little "attitude". Five months is still very much a pup but formal obedience and force fetch will go a long way toward fixing all those problems. BTW I have known a few Lab pups that acted the same way, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a breed thing. She likes to retrieve, but they do that from instinct. They bring it back to you because of training.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I wouldn't be throwing dummies for retrieve without a long lead rope on her so you can reel her back when she try's to take the dummy the other way. Every time you do she is being reinforced that she can get her way.

She is playing "Keep away" with the bumper. All puppies at some phase will do this. Until she is through CC any retrieving should be done with a check cord on so you can reinforce the command.

As to Chessie attitude .... can't help you with that one .... only have labs with attitudes!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

What's the breeding first. Next some dogs
    Are motivated to please others have very high
    Prey drive . Be careful about advise you really
    Don't know where the information comes from.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by HoytHunt View Post
    I married my husband 10 years ago and he came with a 4 yr old Labrador. She was phenomenal and introduced me to the world of dog obedience and hunt retrieving.

She passed away in 2012 and it took us a while to recover, she was one in a million.

We finally agreed that we were ready for a new retriever but both felt that we should avoid Labradors least we constantly compare them to our old Lab. We looked at several breeds and even had a deposit down on an American Water Spaniel litter before backing out.

In September my husband told me about an upcoming litter of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers that were from a Master Hunt Stud and a Senior Hunt Bitch. We met the breeder and the bitch and eventually the pups and it all felt right. My husband is a Veterinarian and I am a Vet Tech so we both have experience working with all kinds of breeds on a daily basis but Chessie's were fairly new to us.

We put down our deposit on a promising female who was very "birdy" and picked her up when she was 8 wks old.

We expected to confront some differences in this breed compared to a Lab, we expected more stubbornness, more independence, and possibly some aggressive tendencies.

We weren't wrong.

Sounds like a very nice pup!!!! I would find a pro close by to possibly help you out with issues.If you want to pm me pedigree ,I may be willing to take this beast off your hands.Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Dominance, possessive. works for herself... Yes you have a Chesapeake.

Retrieving is a game to her. It will up to you to impress upon that to play the game she must play by your rules. Chesapeakes do "engage" with their owners even more than Labs. They have a great desire to please those THEY deem worthy.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

What others have said, especially from the Chessie experienced folk. Personally, if I wanted to continue with the retrieves before force fetch I would put her on a check cord and as soon as the adult teeth are in then FF that dog. I think formal OB would be on the list of good things to work on as well.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)