The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie Pup Help!

You have received some excellent advice.I'm just going to add that the dog has an owner but needs a boss.Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Thank you all for your advice! Bruce, Tim, and ChessieMom, your words were somewhat reassuring that we are not doomed, that maybe this is kinda normal and to chill out

Most of you mentioned having her on a check cord and WE DO! What's frustrating is as soon as she feels the tug on the cord she drops the dummy, game over.
    Also mentioned was bonding time and we do that to, she goes everywhere she can with us on errands and spent a week with us driving to Kansas and working on a farm. In fact, we worry that we've singled her out TOO much and maybe it's somehow given her the impression that she's in charge here.

Force Fetching is going to be a new venture for us, we did not do this with our Lab and it could have arguably made her even more awesome than she already was. One concern with FF this pup, aside from the fact that she's not quite old enough yet, is how to accomplish the goal of working through pressure without ruining what little drive she has now. Perhaps it would be better to wait and figure out how to get her to work with us instead of her own gain before beginning FF? and how long do wait for that to happen?

I think handing her over to a trainer at this point would be what I would do, but pride might play into it with my better half. Like JULIE R. mentioned, she is still "very much a pup" and perhaps we should give it time and she will grow out of it. In the back of my mind though, I'm thinking our old lab "didn't do this" or "was so much easier".

"Taking her off our hands" is not something we would ever consider. Regardless of how much we paid or how awesome her pedigree is, she is in her forever home. We may just have to start looking again if she doesn't shape up over the next 2 years.

If anyone has experience with a well rounded, quality trainer in the DC/Maryland area please share it with me.

It's kind of a lonely road with Chessie's I guess. Labs are your buddy but this particular Chessie is in it purely for her own gain.

Quote Originally Posted by HoytHunt View Post
    Thank you all for your advice! Bruce, Tim, and ChessieMom, your words were somewhat reassuring that we are not doomed, that maybe this is kinda normal and to chill out

Most of you mentioned having her on a check cord and WE DO! What's frustrating is as soon as she feels the tug on the cord she drops the dummy, game over.
    Also mentioned was bonding time and we do that to, she goes everywhere she can with us on errands and spent a week with us driving to Kansas and working on a farm. In fact, we worry that we've singled her out TOO much and maybe it's somehow given her the impression that she's in charge here.

Force Fetching is going to be a new venture for us, we did not do this with our Lab and it could have arguably made her even more awesome than she already was. One concern with FF this pup, aside from the fact that she's not quite old enough yet, is how to accomplish the goal of working through pressure without ruining what little drive she has now. Perhaps it would be better to wait and figure out how to get her to work with us instead of her own gain before beginning FF? and how long do wait for that to happen?

I think handing her over to a trainer at this point would be what I would do, but pride might play into it with my better half. Like JULIE R. mentioned, she is still "very much a pup" and perhaps we should give it time and she will grow out of it. In the back of my mind though, I'm thinking our old lab "didn't do this" or "was so much easier".

"Taking her off our hands" is not something we would ever consider. Regardless of how much we paid or how awesome her pedigree is, she is in her forever home. We may just have to start looking again if she doesn't shape up over the next 2 years.

If anyone has experience with a well rounded, quality trainer in the DC/Maryland area please share it with me.

It's kind of a lonely road with Chessie's I guess. Labs are your buddy but this particular Chessie is in it purely for her own gain.
    At this point the check cord is more to teach here than the retrieve. If she brings the dummy back as well its a plus. Force fetch will take care of the retrieve part of it.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Quote Originally Posted by HoytHunt View Post

Turning her over to a pro is fruitless unless you are willing to be the leader or boss after said work has been completed.Just preparing you.And that's the case with all breeds Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

For trainers you can reach out to Neal Selby at Shady Grove Kennel. Its about an hour south of DC.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

new members cannot reply PM's apparently so I'll say here ..
    Thanks Scott, it helps to read these words. My husband is the one with most of the experience, he trained 3 hunt retrievers before I met him and his own Lab was already trained as well. I played around with her throughout the years and felt a false sense of accomplishment as a result. I realize now that I never truly trained her to do anything, she either already knew it or was intelligent enough to figure out what I wanted regardless of how I was asking for it. My husband on the other hand is having his world rocked a bit with this pup. He is so attuned to Labs and how they think and though we both had experience hanging around Chessie's and talked with other Chessie owners, nothing really, honestly prepares you for owning/training I guess.

You are the second person to mention "Nothing in life is free" I am looking into it now and thinking this may be our saving grace.

I didn't know about rentals through ACC but it sounds awesome and I'll mention to the other half.

Again, thank you

We've had Chesapeakes for well over 40 years. They are a great breed and all have different personalities. They don't fit in one size box. You have received some good advice here. I would suggest that you check out the Rappahannock River Retriever Club near Culpeper, VA. http://www.rrrclub.com/ This is where Neil Selby is located. They have some Chesapeake owners as members and have training days. Another good resource is the American Chesapeake Club http://www.amchessieclub.org/. I know that one training day is planned for June 21 in MD. Possibly we will have another in the summer in VA. Another good website to get help is http://www.teamchesapeake.com/. You are welcome to call me. I am on the American Chesapeake Club website under Regional Directors. Best of luck!

I have only been exposed to other peoples Chessies, and so this advice is based on what i would do with a lab pup that is a "handful" and plenty of them are...Stop with the retrieves. Establish control through two or 3 a day 5-10 minute formal OB sessions, and begin cc in conjunction. Establish some solid pressure conditioning now- going into ff after she gets her teeth. By doing CC and getting some good pressure conditioning in completely absent retrieving activities you can put your mind a ease about harming her drive- I do not know if that is a legit concern or not with your pup, but teaching her to handle pressure now will build your confidence as well as hers regarding ff.

Also- you mentioned that your husband came with a 4 to lab, not a pup- I doubt he remembers how frustrating she was at times as a pup... I'm just saying... Cut yourself and that pup some slack and keep reasonable goals. Don't dwell on that distant possible FT campaign and take this time to really learn how to raise a pup well.

I didn't see where you were located but if you're in the DC/N.VA area, my farm is less than an hour from the DC beltway in Fauquier County; you're welcome to call or email (since you can't send a PM til you have 10 posts). I've had CBRs since 1981 and if I can't answer your questions I can always point you to someone who can. One thing is, your pup may be bored with doing short little retrieves in a yard and at this point, it's not furthering anything but her decision that the recall command is optional. I've found with some of the little delinquents, taking them someplace new and unfamiliar will clean up that keep away game, as will water retrieves. (I know....there isn't any water right now til the ice melts!) I have a 30 ac. farm with 3 ponds and also usually do a Chesapeake field day here but due to this winter's weather we haven't scheduled this year's yet.
    My contact info. is (540) 364-9480 or hopespringsfarmATgmail.com
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

You have some good resources available to you in MD, chessie people who know the breed well. Julie, Mike, and Tim are knowledgeable and experienced. I hope you will be able to take advantage of the opportunity to visit Julie's farm, wish I could!!!

We have 3 chessies: 2 are biddable and good natured, 1 is dominant, guards everything, and when young was possessive of food bowls, and bones. Turns out that once the dominant behavior was controlled via NILF, she was the easiest to train, had the most natural ability, and works harder for me than either of the other two. (Edited to add, one of the biddable ones is just 7 months old herself, so we're still waiting to see what we've got with her in terms of performance, LOL.) We just had to figure out what worked with the dominant one and she bloomed.
    Last edited by Pam Spears; 03-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ