The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chessie Pup Help!

Avoidance is the trainers made problem. When they are puppies build confidence. With confidence puppies handle pressure much better. One has to set up training sessions that you control both success and failure. Controlled failures and be ready to help dog solve the problem. Timing. Just my opinion have never produced a FC. But continue to dream. Timing can be the difference between what you may think is stubborn or avoidance.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Good point ^^^ by Moscowitz, although at this age sometimes it can be hard to find something praise worthy
    Since you're local you should check out your closest retriever club, Rappahannock River Retriever Club. We have monthly training sessions, but since we're having an AKC hunt test in April, the next training day isn't til May but, you're welcome to come watch at the HT (heck we'll put you to work if you want, too!). We have a lot of Chesapeakes in our club, so you'll feel right at home, in fact, there's even a little delinquent that I bred, the same age as your pup. If you go look at the club's facebook page, you can see him in his full glory in the "Good puppy/bad puppy" photo album. He was doing such a good job til he got the idea to stop, drop and roll on his duck! (Gotta love puppies). Photo below is the good puppy, you can see the rest on the club's Facebook page. BTW this pup's owner and several others meet to train regularly, sometimes at my farm, sometimes at other nearby spots; Peake people always welcome!

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Avoidance is the trainers made problem. When they are puppies build confidence. With confidence puppies handle pressure much better. One has to set up training sessions that you control both success and failure. Controlled failures and be ready to help dog solve the problem. Timing. Just my opinion have never produced a FC. But continue to dream. Timing can be the difference between what you may think is stubborn or avoidance.

I was replying to a post that was deleted, referencing rolling the dog on its back, and straddling it while growing and massaging your hands around its throat... as well as a couple other strategies for demonstrating dominance that seemed likely to be confusing down the road, to say the least... and none of which were esigned to build any confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Good point ^^^ by Moscowitz, although at this age sometimes it can be hard to find something praise worthy
    Since you're local you should check out your closest retriever club, Rappahannock River Retriever Club. We have monthly training sessions, but since we're having an AKC hunt test in April, the next training day isn't til May but, you're welcome to come watch at the HT (heck we'll put you to work if you want, too!). We have a lot of Chesapeakes in our club, so you'll feel right at home, in fact, there's even a little delinquent that I bred, the same age as your pup. If you go look at the club's facebook page, you can see him in his full glory in the "Good puppy/bad puppy" photo album. He was doing such a good job til he got the idea to stop, drop and roll on his duck! (Gotta love puppies). Photo below is the good puppy, you can see the rest on the club's Facebook page. BTW this pup's owner and several others meet to train regularly, sometimes at my farm, sometimes at other nearby spots; Peake people always welcome!

Julie - Your PM inbox is full. How do you get to our clubs facebook page? There is no links on the club website that I can see. I do not have facebook so have no clue how to use it.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Julie - Your PM inbox is full. How do you get to our clubs facebook page? There is no links on the club website that I can see. I do not have facebook so have no clue how to use it.
    Both the club's and my own Hope Springs Farm pages are public, though you may still need to join Facebook in order to see them. When I set up the club page originally, I wasn't a member but had to join to do it; but back then I think on public pages, anyone could see them. Not sure if that's still true though. Try these links (click on name) to see if they work for you, and if you need to reach me, best way is email HopeSpringsFarmATgmail.com

Rappahannock River Retriever Club facebook page

Hope Springs Farm facebook page
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

You have the training day out in Winchester on the first Saturday of most months outside of duck season, correct? We attended a training day early last summer when I had no dog just to get a feel for the group. You fed me and were very nice, so I like you. I was planning on joining up and hitting your training weekends once I have something I can take in public. May will be about right I hadn't really checked out the web page for the schedule yet because a lot of training groups have not started training yet due to weather.

Nate

Oops, Remington, not Winchester. Thank goodness there isn't a Browning, Va nearby. I'd never keep them all straight.

Nate