The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Test Expenses

Default Hunt Test Expenses

Wondering. What is everyone seeing as the most expensive line on their HT report?
    HRCH Wilson's God of Thunder - Thor
    HR Wilson's God of Mischief - Loki

Quote Originally Posted by GilWlsn View Post
    Wondering. What is everyone seeing as the most expensive line on their HT report?
    Single item? Judges expenses.
    Overall for the entire test? Birds.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Birds--about 42% of revenues. Next would be judges expenses (including dinner, hotel,travel and gift) at about 28% of revenues. We limit at one flight for MH so that would be higher for folks that run more.

Birds first , than judges expenses

Do we consider Judges expenses, as a collective item (as in expenses for all judges?) That has been our most notable cost, but likely because of a lack of judges native to the Area. Although I will say we've been really lucky with judges, helping out and not turning in exorbitant expenses. Next item would be birds... Then You got start-up cost (Ribbons, Insurance etc.) however those cannot be tied to a single test as they are usually yearly expenses (but they are a large chunk of change when they come due).
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-07-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I've never seen a HT report and I don't want to see one. I'll pay my club dues, entry fees, etc. and provide backbreaking labor wherever needed but please delegate the finances to someone else.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

With the rising cost of EVERTHING, fuel, motels, food, should we be looking at ways to help/reduce cost for a hunt test weekend? Clubs and handlers

Quote Originally Posted by GilWlsn View Post
    With the rising cost of EVERTHING, fuel, motels, food, should we be looking at ways to help/reduce cost for a hunt test weekend? Clubs and handlers
    Anyway you can!

We have done a bulk ammo buy this year with 3 clubs and the same with poppers. We are working with local motels on reduced rates for judges and handlers. Struck a deal with Subway on sandwiches. Looked into a club run judges dinner ( we will do that for our D/Q )

Lots of ways to save a few $$$$ and it all adds up.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Got to have judges. No judges, no Hunt Test. Let's do some math:

40 dogs started, 30 dogs seasoned, 2 50-dog finished flights = 170 dogs. 1.5 birds/dog = 255 birds. 255 X $13 / bird (If your lucky) = $3315 worth of............ TRASH the guy that draws the short straw has to deal with Sunday. If I worked for a company and I knew 40% of the revenue was disposed of and didn't take a look at doing something to capture the loss to reduce cost, they'd show me the door! It would seem logical to use a reusable resource that last long than 2 days.

Judges expenses, then birds and finally food. Then, if you haven't factored replacing poppers and ribbons then that next.