The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern California RC

Thanks Russ
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Good luck to all who are still in!
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Open scratches: 3, 10, 46, 76, 79

Open rotation 88, 10, 36, 64

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

Callbacks to 4th series Derby - 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30

16 dogs

Unofficial Derby Results:
    1st - Rocky - van der Lee
    2nd - Smoke - Koeth
    3rd - Ford - Moore
    4th - Emma - Redifer/Kiernan
    RJ - Christensen - not sure which dog

There were several JAM's but I don't have them.

The Open land blind is long and with a narrow corridor. It starts as a no-see-em with a dry pop. The gunner in white is not visible to the dogs at the start but plays a part in the corridor later in the blind. The dog goes up over a road, sidehills a mound, goes through a narrow slot between the gunner on the right and a bush, down off a plateau onto the flat, over a point of cover, through a channel of water, to the left of a bush, into another channel of water and on to the blind on the face of a mound. The handler can move up to the road to handle once the dog gets to the first mound and can move up to the mound to handle once the dog gets past the gunner. Handlers have to move quickly to keep the dog in sight. There is a lot of suction to the right, first because of the gunner who the dogs think might have thrown a bird and then the heavy cover to the right of the line to the blind where the dogs want to go hunting. Another hazard is losing the dog in one of the channels. They should be about done with it now so I'll be heading over there to get the callbacks soon.

The Amateur began with a tight triple with two retired. First bird down is the long bird in the middle thrown left to right and landing near a small bush just short of a road. The second bird down is the short retired on the right thrown right to left and landing in front of a large bush. Last down is the flyer on the left shot right to left with three small channels of water to cross. Both memory gunners retire behind natural bushes. Most of the dogs are getting the birds, but there is a fair amount of hunting, especially on the long mark because there is a square shaped natural bush that attracts the dogs short of the long mark. Some have hunted the short bird and then switched to the long mark. The judges announced that they are hoping to complete the first series and run the second series today.

Thanks Judy for your detailed report. Good luck to you. Even though I no longer have a dog in anything I am following you all.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Has the Q started? Any report on what they are doing?
    Lee J Herskowitz
    Semper Retrievers
    Portland, OR
    www.semperretrievers.com

The Q started but I heard they scrapped the test.