The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Nahra , akc. Hrc ??

Ken, I agree with what you are saying. Out here we don't have to worry about land and have the same AKC judge problems you do, but those are not that hard to deal with, we have been paying attention to what judges are current if we don't know we can use entry express and the AKC website to get pretty much all the judge info we need. A quick phone call can is required sometimes.
    Probably the biggest hassle now is HRC trying to get judges approved takes an act of congress. I asked for a copy of a policy from HRC and out rep 3 months before the hunt as it affected our judging pool. Finally got it 3 days after the hunt after threatening a class action lawsuit just to get the info from them. When we first started HRC 3 years ago they were very helpful and they had a secretary we could call and was very helpful and would call back and help you or just check up on you. Well they got rid of her and now it is a fight ever single test and getting to the point that I think just holding AKC tests is really the way to go. If HRC doesn't get their act together this next hunt will be my last one, which is too bad because I really like the hunts and my dog really really likes them.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

badbullgator

"... but given the choice of MN and the Grand I will take the MN."

Why?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    badbullgator

"... but given the choice of MN and the Grand I will take the MN."

Why?
    More difficult to get there and an AKC title
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    So Ken, just curious about your numbers with NHRA? Have you held 120-160 (whatever the highest level is similar to MH) dog fields with multiple flights?
    started, hunter and intermediate all under same judges not more than 15 dogs each day.
    senior alone not more than 15 dogs each day, if a one day senior. we feel, in senior, 15 is all a set of judges can do in a one day test. but as you know. no matter the venue, give two judges 11 hours of daylight and they will use it
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

badbullgator Yes more non hunters play AKC than the others two venues, but many more of us are bird hunters. NONE of the venues come close to putting on a real days hunt, nor is anyone better for hunters than the other.[/QUOTE]

Been affiliated with both NAHRA and AKC for a few years and still judge both.

NAHRA has used of 300 decoys in a spread, used electronic calls, used multiple boats for both stations and handlers-yes even moved the boat from starting point to the point of origin. Used an upland hunt in a brace and wildly flushed pheasants,quail, or other species listed in the premium. NAHRA has also used live birds released that ( wait)...... the dog had to trail! A walkup, honor, triple land,triple water, quarter with steady to flush, remote, water and a land blind one incorporated with marks, trail, and other things a judge may want to see.

Now in the AKC events we stand upright next to our doggy (drop our hand-optional, never have figured this out for a hunting dog) release fido to pick up the triples. We do (AKC) however have that infamous land/water combo I have run out of a boat 2x by the same judge a few years apart, but the boat was on the land, dog didn't have to even reenter after its return. Upland- I been told go ahead-it will be your last time judging akc... (Guess they dont upland hunt?) Trail???

Now I'll give AKC that you do have to pick up more marks, and run at least 1 more blind to qualify. But at this whole time you are teaching control and the dog is by your side. PERIOD! The most freedom the dog gets is the walkup!

Now try running an upland into a triple land series, or a trail into your marks.

Yes you can do these things in NAHRA with the smaller # of entrants, but dont say they are not close to days hunt.

I guess you can argue the point that in NAHRA the handler can talk quietly to your dog, ; ) I guess I do that from time to time while hunting--regards. looking forward to running HRC this summer!

I started with NAHRA back in the mid 90s. I certainly think both do have an opportunity. NAHRA, in particular, though has some bad history behind it that probably still touches nerves of some clubs--it got ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I started with NAHRA back in the mid 90s. I certainly think both do have an opportunity. NAHRA, in particular, though has some bad history behind it that probably still touches nerves of some clubs--it got ugly.
    That stuff is such ancient history as not really even merit discussion in today's game. IMO
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    More difficult to get there and an AKC title
    Debatable! IMO! Have to get the popcorn out! Two sides of that discussion.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    It's not a "grounds" issue. The bottom line is that the AKC is the 2 Ton Gorilla in the room. Breeders want the AKC titles. (Whether they mean anything more or less than the other HT titles or not). Once the AKC jumped into the HT game, it was just a matter of time before NAHRA suffered (don't know enough about HRC to comment, haven't been around it).
    AKC doesn't recognize NAHRA or HRC titles. So many folks who have to choose one over the other choose AKC.

So, it's a demand issue. You can only realistically have so many dogs at a test on a given day... This has been discussed ad nauseum... They can fix it if they want to. Anything can be done if the WILL is there.
    Bill,

I have some up-and-coming young dogs that will hopefully be running Finished in HRC this Fall. I will be runing a few HT in Tennessee. You are more than welcome to come out and join us for some fun. Bring your dog or dogs or just run one of mine. I promise you'll have fun and I will even post play by play posts here on RTF!

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Bill,

I have some up-and-coming young dogs that will hopefully be running Finished in HRC this Fall. I will be runing a few HT in Tennessee. You are more than welcome to come out and join us for some fun. Bring your dog or dogs or just run one of mine. I promise you'll have fun and I will even post play by play posts here on RTF!

Lonnie Spann
    Thanks Lonnie, it all sounds great. The only thing that worries me just a smidge is the part I bolded

Still recovering from reading your story on the training session with your grandson!
    Bill Davis