The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRCA National Specialty

Default GRCA National Specialty

Golden Retriever Club of America National Specialty hunt test is Oct 24-25, 2014 in Bristol, TN. Event is open on EE.
    Goldens only, master limited to 90 dogs.

Golden people are hopping up and down on Facebook ...MH limit.. trying to get in..not knowing if their dog will be ready because the ice is not out yet in many parts of the country, here included!
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    Golden people are hopping up and down on Facebook ...MH limit.. trying to get in..not knowing if their dog will be ready because the ice is not out yet in many parts of the country, here included!
    Well, they've got 8 months to get ready. And if they delayed today they're out. The 90 dog master filled today in about 8 hours. Would never have thought that.

Ok, am I the only one who thinks it's sad to put a limit on a National specialty??

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Ok, am I the only one who thinks it's sad to put a limit on a National specialty??
    The reality is available grounds in some reasonable distance to the show site. We're very lucky to have some fantastic grounds available. But there are only so many ponds and fields and AKC limits the number of dogs that can run in any one flight. Some folks never thought we'd fill the 90 dog stake. Last year the Specialty did not have a hunt test. If folks want a hunt test as part of the specialty they need to step up, let the GRCA Board know and support the program.
    BTW, the junior and senior stakes are not limited.

Bob Swift

I understand, Bob, I really do. I just find it sad that people want to go to our breed specialty and can't get in to the MH level test. I guess disappointing would be a better word. Doesn't effect me, I wasn't planning to go. I did, however, want to go to last year's National but decided not to in part because there were no HT.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Well, they've got 8 months to get ready. And if they delayed today they're out. The 90 dog master filled today in about 8 hours. Would never have thought that.
    It's worth taking the chance and signing up...people can always pull out if before the deadline date I believe? Worth going and enjoying either way.

Perhaps some that missed out on the MH, might train toward the Q!! ..and enjoy..

Great that the enthusiasm is there from so many...
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I understand, Bob, I really do. I just find it sad that people want to go to our breed specialty and can't get in to the MH level test. I guess disappointing would be a better word. Doesn't effect me, I wasn't planning to go. I did, however, want to go to last year's National but decided not to in part because there were no HT.
    Understood. But the HT is not the only limited event. Tracking, CCA, agility among others have limits based on available resources. The good news is the growing number of good dogs that can participate at that level. But as Will Rodgers said, "The trouble with land is they're not making anymore."

With the national events so separated this year, it will be impossible to do field and obedience. 5 hrs from HT to FT, nearly 4 hr from FT to show grounds and once again they have scheduled obedience opposite the FT. Those of us that do both haven't had much luck being able to do both in a national for many years. Why so many agility trials? Do we really need to run 4 agility trials in conjunction with the national. Why can't obedience folks get 2 trials, at least one of which is NOT scheduled opposite the field events.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

See the post below from the National Yahoo group ... the GRCA is interested in finding out how many people wanted to enter the MH, but limit already reached. This is how GRCA will formulate policy for future Natl Specialties.

I think Judy is correct about AKC rules. If you enter after limit is filled, but some people withdraw BEFORE the closing date (lots of time for that to happen), the dogs on the "waiting list" can be moved up into those available slots.

Did you notice how few are entered in JH & SH. Remember when JH was the largest stake at a hunt test?!!

Easy answer on why agility is so available ... it is a big money-maker for the clubs. The same could be said of Puppy Sweepstakes. There was quite a discussion on that on FB.

All the "extras" that come at a Natl ... special trophies, hospitality, etc. have to be paid for. Each year the Natl gets bigger and the bar is raised for the host club. This can be a negative impact for encouraging more clubs to host the event because it becomes such a huge undertaking.

I agree it's kind of sad that the schedule has become so overloaded that it becomes harder and harder for people in one venue to even watch events in another venue, much less participate. Have we created our own monster?

Date: Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Subject: [GRCANationalSpecialty] 2014 National Hunt Test Survey, Master Stake
    To: GRCANationalSpecialty-owner@yahoogroups.com, GRCANationalSpecialty@yahoogroups.com, Working and Showing Golden Retrievers <WORK_GOLD@apple.ease.lsoft.com>, goldenbreederforum@yahoogroups.com
    Cc: grca_board@yahoogroups.com

We understand that some potential entrants were disappointed they could not enter the Master Stake in the National Specialty Hunt Test before it filled. While we do not know if it will be possible to accommodate additional entries, we would like to know how many additional entrants might have registered if they had been able to do so.
    If you were planning to enter the Master Stake but were unable to do so, please take this quick survey. Although information about whom took the survey will not be shared, please identify yourself when you take the survey.
    THANK YOU!!!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QSYCZCW

Leslie Blythe
    Answer Gal 2014
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.