Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make or buy? - Stickmen

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    verdict on the $10 for black diamond?
    lou talked me out of it
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I have four of Lou's. They are all plain white.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Buy, Lou Magee! You can't build it cheaper/better/faster than Lou. If you get/got into dogs to save money quit now.
    Made my own first now have 4 from Lou and I love them!
    Mike Peters

I don't have the maggee stickmen but I would get the black diamond if you train part of the year in snow. We use black stickmen during winter.

Made mine, got $2.50 in each one. Plastic fence post from tractor supply $1.99 and pieces of 2'x5' and zip ties. Been using the same 5 for 8 years and only have to redo zip ties every now and then .

i made some pretty decent ones using plastic fence posts and corrugated plastic sheets.
    Work really well and cost me about 3 bucks.
    However, I got the plastic sheets for free and I am in search of a few more.
    My next ones will cost about 6 bucks each as I am going to put 2 fence posts on them.

Want a nicely made product which is compact, durable and easily set up and taken down... Go with Lou Magee ... You won't be disappointed. I ordered 2 and will be ordering more along with a blind.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Made mine, got $2.50 in each one. Plastic fence post from tractor supply $1.99 and pieces of 2'x5' and zip ties. Been using the same 5 for 8 years and only have to redo zip ties every now and then .
    We are close. Same fence post, plus a coat hanger and an old T-shirt. If it's a long way then maybe use an old lab coat instead of a T-shirt.

If I ever buy any I'll buy Lou Magee's.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Saxxx011:

Let me start by saying thank you to all the nice comments about my products. My customers give me the best advice to making products that work well and hold up to the abuse of daily training. I will try to answer a couple of questions brought up in this thread.

Build or buy: All depends on your level of interest and wanting to be competitive in running field trials! Field trials are all about having the best dog in the stake you have entered on that day. The majority of all successful amateur trainers and professionals have my products on their truck! They use these products because: easy to use, compact for storage, back-light very well, stable in the wind, very effective in all weather conditions and hold up for years of use.
    You can build as good a product if you have the equipment, skill, time, and excess to the quality of materials needed.

White or black stickmen: This depends on your terrain and lighting conditions. In some terrain the black shows up better than the white. On horizon marks with the sky as a background the black will show up better but with a background of green grass/trees the white model will show up better.
    As a general rule, the eastern portion of the country most people use white stickmen and the western portion of the country use black diamond models because of their terrain.
    Magee Retriever Products
    www.mageeproducts.com

Lou Magee all the way! Great guy to deal with. Mine were delivered to the wrong place(FedEx's fault.) He offered to send new ones if we couldn't track them down. Found them later that day but I was impressed. Also, very quick/easy to set-up. Will be ordering blinds soon.