The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make or buy? - Stickmen

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    When I first saw one of Lou's out in a field vs. my made ones, I tossed mine and placed an order with Lou. Great quality and great person to deal with.
    Completely agree! I used homemade ones for years, a shirt on a pole, then I bought Lou's last year. The difference in visibility and not blowing around in the wind makes them completely worth it. I got the ones with the black diamonds, and they're nice because you can do all white or white/black. The diamonds fold down.

After horsing around with my home made stickmen I finally broke down and bought the white diamonds made by Butch Green, I haven't looked back. They go up and down in 10 seconds, and I never ever find myself thinking about how much they weigh or how much trouble they are to use like I did with my home made ones.

I assume that the ones sold by DogsAfield are Butch Green ones:

They store nicely on the lip of my truck cap:

stickmen.jpg
    I have not seen the comparable product from Lou Magee, everyone around here has Butch Green ones. I have LM's retiring gunners for wingers and Malcolm, very well made, but I don't see them on the website anymore...I got the black diamond version for training in the snow.

If you do go home made, pay attention to the dimensions of the commercial ones so that you make them large and tall enough to be seen in cover and uneven terrain.
    Last edited by mitty; 03-11-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fixed pic
    Renee P

I use the plastic fence posts with pillow cases. Good size and they don't blow around

Quote Originally Posted by Pkmirau View Post
    I use the plastic fence posts with pillow cases. Good size and they don't blow around
    Never cut firewood so big that your wife can't carry it!

Past 200yds fence post/bags do not show up.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Anyone own the stickmen that Gunners up sells? I'm in the market and trying to make a decision on what to buy. Any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Youngs View Post
    Anyone own the stickmen that Gunners up sells? I'm in the market and trying to make a decision on what to buy. Any input would be appreciated.
    I would expect Lou would refund your money if you don't believe his product is the best on the market after using them.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I have a friend who has a couple. They are not as easy to see, not as stable and they take up more room when folded than the Magee stickmen. For $5 less, they are not a real value. That being said, there is no rule you have to have a matched set. You could certainly get one of each to try. I think you would prefer the Magee, but YMMV.

Just looks like a COPY of Butch Green's with the gunners up name on it.

I've used Gunners Up diamond stickmen for the past year, they have been great. They are light weight and come with a case to protect and keep them from getting dirty during transport/storage. Gunners up will back up their products, can't go wrong if this is what you decide to go with.