The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lazy Sit?

Default Lazy Sit?

My puppy is just 6 weeks old and she has inherited a lazy sit from her daddy. I am not a big fan of this and would like to stop it. Could someone please suggest ways to do this, I would be forever grateful. I don't get her for 2 weeks yet and not sure about any corrections early so time frame in your suggestion would be good. Thanks all.
    6wk4.jpg
    Last edited by mtncntrykid; 03-11-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. I don't think this is an inherited trait as most very young puppies do this. Most simply out grow it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

clearly that pup isn't excited or in work mode (if it has such a thing, also, i thought show dogs were trained not to sit..haha) lazy sit goes away as soon as they get excited and can barely keep that bottom down anyway.

thundr,
    In 6 months that little girl is going to be tearing up the trials! No show dog here.
    And daddy is 3 years old and still sits this way and is one of the hardest charging hunting dogs I know.
    1801487_orig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    thundr,
    In 6 months that little girl is going to be tearing up the trials! No show dog here.
    And daddy is 3 years old and still sits this way and is one of the hardest charging hunting dogs I know.
    1801487_orig.jpg
    I can't see this as a hereditary issue unless there is some serious hip problems in those blood lines. In reference to "daddy is 3 years old and still sits this way", there was once a comment posted from a RTF member trainer who said you own what you condone.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Grab the loose skin low and just in front of the back leg and tug a little(they hate this) on the side he is sitting on his hip on. It will square him up but you have to be consistent and pulling on the rope a little helps also.. Rick Stawski shows this in his Fowl Dogs video. I have used this many times and it works.

thundr,
    1801487_orig.jpg
    I hope you saw the chuckle, I on't use the wink or any of the other smileys...

No problem, I did see the haha. I took it the right way. lol

You're worried about a lazy sit at 6 weeks old? There are a lot more important things to worry about with a 6 week old than a lazy sit. Like Wayne said.. give it time and it may go away and you have plenty of time to work on it later.

I have a 7 week old and I'm mostly worried about getting him to pee outside.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

My puppy is just 6 weeks old and she has inherited a lazy sit from her daddy.
    Easy, Toot, Nick. If that doesn't clear it up, you can use my favorite suggestion ever on RTF: put him on his back and hump him until he pees himself. If you let it go at 6 weeks, you are going to have real problems at two months.