The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    If you are getting your puppy at eight weeks I would wait a bit. My approach is to just let the pup adjust to your home, bond and play. One day when he is just messing around call his name. If he looks up at you then he knows his name and is ready to start learning. My experience is that this occurs at about 10
    weeks. Good luck with your pup.
    The key here is the pup is adjusting...the key here is pup is recognizing your voice and the key here is pup is recognizing your smell....

Wayne just gave you the very best advice.

Enjoy your pup. Let her bond and get to know you. Don't try too hard..... (there is no rush either)

Abs no point in 'correcting' what you consider a sloppy sit (actually known as a 'puppy sit' in our neck of the woods) at such a young age, as she just won't get it, and you may likely end up worrying/frightening her. She hasn't got the muscle and bone structure to coordinate fully yet.

Attention and basic easy obedience is fine at baby stage. Tidying up can be addressed later, when brain capacity is more developed.

Mine use o do it. During oo she would lazy sit. It would walk up to her a tap her foot with my foot and she would pull it back in. She has now cleared it up over time, the older she got.

My response was, indeed, a joke. I thought your OP was a joke--just showing off the cute puppy that you don't have yet. If you are really this worried about it, you got some good advice, but the best, IMO, is to worry about puppy stuff for a while. Socialization and not pooping all over the place come way before how it sits in my book, but to each its own.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that the OP should worry about the way a 6 week old puppy sits?
    I'm suggesting that if he is going to do any training, regardless of the age that he do it right, from the beginning, as opposed to doing it wrong and having to correct it, yes....

I also suggested TREATS with a young puppy, as opposed to some of the other methods that address a slightly older dog.

Would I do it myself? probably not, but he's not me and like I said, if he's going to train early on, better to do it right.
    Darrin Greene

I'm watching my 8 week old bounce around the house as I type this (keeping one eye on the screen and the other on the pup to make sure he doesn't get into something he shouldn't or is showing signs of yet another trip outside to pee or poo.... yes, my eyes hurt)

I've been watching him closely... sometimes he sits perfectly, sometimes he sits on his side. But by the time I move towards him, he's off doing something else. Puppies are fast, wiggly, squirmy bundles of activity. Their attention span is about 5 seconds.

Sure, you can try to mess with your pup's sit when its this young, but in reality, you will have plenty of time to do this when you are working on healing, formalizing sit, and your more focused training when pup is older.

Don't become obsessed with fixing everything from the very start. Yes, it's better to teach something correctly from the get-go so you don't have to correct a problem later on, but sitting with an 8 week pup is probably not one of them.

Smell the roses and enjoy the journey. Bond with the puppy and concentrate more on getting it outside to pee so you can preserve your floors.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Simple... too simple, in fact...

When you start your sit work (with treats hopefully), don't reward those sits. Only reward the behavior you want which, in the case of sit is...

butt on the floor
    facing me squarely
    eye contact

It's up to you to build those components into the exercise and reward accordingly.

And btw... eye contact comes before square approach, which comes before sit...

Create the right standard from the beginning and then it's a lot easier to maintain down the road, as opposed to being sloppy early on and having to correct/refine later.
    Darrin did not mean right now! When is the key word!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Darrin did not mean right now! When is the key word!
    Thanks for being astute Mary Lynn. You're right. I said WHEN you start.

I think he said he wasn't even getting pup until 8 weeks and at that point, the anxious owner is going to start training, whether we like it or not. Better to give them good advice than to refuse and tell them to "wait" IMHO. They may listen to the training advice, but they aren't likely to listen when you say "wait"...

Personally, I start the day puppy arrives with sit, down and stand... just moving them around, getting them to learn to follow my hand, understanding their marker sounds and in general, how to earn rewards with engagement. They still get plenty of time to socialize and adjust to things. Frankly, I think doing some simple little exercises with them tires them out and makes them feel more comfortable with me.

Just my opinion. Everyone has one and some of them stink.
    Darrin Greene

[QUOTE=DarrinGreene;1198175]Thanks for being astute Mary Lynn. You're right. I said WHEN you start.

I think he said he wasn't even getting pup until 8 weeks and at that point, the anxious owner is going to start training, whether we like it or not. Better to give them good advice than to refuse and tell them to "wait" IMHO.

"Personally, I start the day puppy arrives with sit, down and stand..."

Sometimes I think things get taken way out of context. My original post was looking for advice on this issue and how you all corrected it. I received a lot of good answers and advice that allows me to choose an avenue to my liking. Thank You All for that.
    I plan to do as many suggest and spend the first week or so just getting to know my puppy and letting her get to know me. We will work on simple basic things like sit , down , place , etc. After the first couple weeks of this I will start refining those basics to a more precise -

butt on floor
    face me squarely
    eye contact

exercise regime (treat driven) as suggested by Darrin. By then my girl will be 11 - 12 weeks old and will have built up enough confidence that there won't be a problem. Should anything start to surface I won't hesitate to back up and slow things down. So you all know, I am a retired single gentleman and this little girl and me will be together 24/7 doing nothing but exploring the great outdoors and what life has to offer us together.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I hope there will be more in the future as I am sure to ask more questions about things I don't know (which are many).

Ron
    Last edited by mtncntrykid; 03-12-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Ron, I don't know where you are in Idaho or how gosh awful big the place is end to end but you really should look up Pete from the forum here. He's in your area and is very good with puppy development.
    Darrin Greene