The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you score dogs hunt on this mark?

Dog got to the area and hunted up the bird. Dogs smart enough to track and deal with a running rooster pheasant. Pretty much answers the question "would I hunt with this dog?"
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

That was fun to watch! Especially when the bird tried to flush when the dog caught up to it! That dog is a conservation tool! I'm sure it was proud to deliver to it's master!
    Jeff Brezee

MHR HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code JH "Jasmine"

The dog showed the highest degree of competence in that he not only marked the fall but he also immediately recognized that the bird had moved & trailed it unerringly to make the retrieve.

The question is, would a dog that has been trained not to leave the area of the fall have lingered in the AOF long enough to let the bird escape?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Breck,

Thanks for posting the link; I'd seen it before but it's always worth a second look.

I think this points up the differences between Trials in the US and over here. My old chum Jeff Boston described US Trials as remarkable retrieving, and UK Trials as remarkable gamefinding; whilst that's not the whole story it's pretty accurate. The dog would have undoubtedly been marked with an "A" on what would have been a no-bird in a US Trial. Vive la difference!

The winner of that years IGL was FTCh Roberto Rannaldini of Bolton Abbey, handled by John Halsted and owned by The Duchess of Devonshire.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

That looked similar to a trail seen in NAHRA...or an average day of guiding out in SoDak...I would have marked him down for the drop, tho...that was more than a reposition....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

The dog took the cast to the area of fall, responded well to the whistle "stop command", took the cast in the birds direction of travel, picked up the scent trail and then picked the bird-demonstrating excellent gamefinding ability . From the limited content of the video it was overall, a solid "A" performance under BFTSA rules.

i would have failed that SOB on the way to the line just like they do in the Grand.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

The dog would have been given some extra credit possibly on his collection of a long runner. So, marked up from an A, or at least some comments to remind the judges of the difficulty of the retrieve. However, having said that, (playing devils advocate) yes it was a very nice methodical piece of dog work once the dog tracked the runner, but you could argue a faster/better marking dog would have made the fall more quickly and collected the bird before it became such a long runner. Wouldn't have looked so spectacular to the gallery perhaps, but which would have been the better dog?.....

KM did you see the runner taking off around 10 seconds into video? I reran it several times thinking it was a rabbit. It was really hauling butt. Do you see a rabbit or pheasant?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

And I would say that was more realistic of actual pheasant hunting....especially when you are hunting with such a wonderful shot like me!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot