The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How would you score dogs hunt on this mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    This snap might help you visualise things better; it's Novice Trial held on an estate close to Blimp Towers.

Eug, I know Openshaw's espousing them these days, but are the guns also using placeboards over there too?!?

(Congrats on the Vanilla's big Chelski broad-daylight robbery yesterday, what-what! Can't say bravo from ol' Joe-SAY, though...)

MG

Mike,

I didn't watch the game so I'm just grateful for the points. Best of luck with the Baggies, I hope (and believe) you'll dodge the drop.

As in the above pic the judge is yer man Boston.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Ta, Eug and God bless ol' Jeff (but not Anelka, the rotter).

If we tried running a field trial on that kind of ground, as you've de-pitch-ted above, everybody associated with it would be shown a red card. And probably read their Miranda rights to boot. However...you know where I stand on the aesthetics of the thing - lovely, just lovely.

MG

Thanks Eug
    You know Mike, now with Pet Passport and no quarantine, it's simple to fly dogs between the US to the UK on a whim no worries. Think they'd let you enter any field trials?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Think they'd let you enter any field trials?
    The dogs would be fine, but no way am I letting MG into Villa Park without a rabies shot! ('Im, not we)

Eug

The dogs would be fine, but no way am I letting MG into Villa Park without a rabies shot! ('Im, not we)
    Doggone it, Eug, Sir "Deadly Doug" Ellis did - once! Well, so long as I promised to stay in the shadows of Spaghetti Junction and Salford Park beneath it, he said I was welcome to root on the 'Villa as "rabidly" as I wanted. Hello, Hawthorns!

Breck, the Powerball jackpot is up to $400M for Tuesday night's drawing. Ask Eug - or Kennel Maiden - if they think the odds are better for winning the lottery or getting your number drawn for a British field trial?

I'm hedging my bets instead - entering Talbot next week and pretending it's named after that great Welshman, Talbott Radcliffe...

Now when they start having retriever field trials with water over there, I happen to think Spaghetti Jct. and Salford Park would be an ideal host venue - especially for

going over points - and past pillars, of course.

MG

By the way, Eug, you can see Sir Doug was just as "deadly" in my realm

as he was in forever "firing away" (sacking away?) in the old First (and Second) Division. (Our Mr. Judge Boston did not take this action photo, incidentally.)

Don't know that this has anything to do with "hunting on a mark" - though it must be said that SDE knew an easy mark (me & 'Merican football) when he saw one.

Caption for photo reads: "Doug Ellis promotes the British equivalent of the Super Bowl staged at Villa Park in 1985." Dead certain there was no such "staging" ever again at Villa Park - though the Lerners did come close to hiring Bob Bradley before Egypt got their hooks (and crooks) into him...

MG

Mike,

I was one that criticised Doug for all manner of stuff; he did however pay me a bit over 10,500 for the one Villa share my Dad gave me as an 18th birthday present after which I wasn't quite so strident! Da had paid just 80 for it in 1964.

Lerner seems to have settled just as Doug did, for low spending mediocrity and lack of ambition. The only difference is Doug got shot of his underperforming managers, Randy has just given Lampwick a three year contract. When Ellis refused to give Ron Saunders a contract, he got rid of the most successful manager we'd had since the 1900's, and three months later the team Ron had built won the European Cup. I don't fancy our chances against Bayern these days!

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 03-17-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Eug, congrats on pocketing some good Brummy dosh - might a visit to the Gun Quarter for a "mediocre" SxS be in order (10,500 after all doesn't go very far in the fancy world of boxlocks and barrels, eh)?

Lerner seems to have settled just as Doug did, for low spending mediocrity and lack of ambition. The only difference is Doug got shot of his underperforming managers, Randy has just given Lampwick a three year contract.
    Funny thing is, if Lerner still owned the Cleveland Browns, you could say he and Deadly Doug have submitted to personality transplants. In Da Browns' division, the AFC North, there have been five "managerial" changes in the last six years among the four teams in that division, all of them made by the Browns, one sacking after another.

Lerner can't take all the credit for those sackings since he peddled the team a couple of years ago to a "trucking magnate" from Tennessee - my advice is, hey, Sir Jack Hayward, don't look over your shoulder. The good ol' boys might be gainin' on Wolves. Would serve 'em right - if'n you happen to like your servings of groaty, er grorty dick cold, of course.

And, Breck, to get this thread back on course, that's how you handle a 'Merican "mark" (an easy mark) - rope 'em into the buying a Premiership team where they'll soon be divested of their fortune (just like field trials "winnings") - or else they'll flounder enough to have the team's sorry standing (a k a "the drop") take it all away from them with loss of TV money (just like running the Q - or novice stakes - with a six-year-old dog).

MG

Breck, going back to the Championship 2009 clip, yes it was a mark that the dog was sent for, so the dog (and handler) 'should' have marked it. However, as Mr Polmaise has rightly said, there are a lot of things going on at the same time, often multiple shots and flushes and live birds getting up from the roots, so sometimes the dog doesn't see or mark the bird it is sent for. Or there is a delayed mark. In this case, it was a cock bird and the dog was sent directly, so should have had a good mark. Phil just had to correct him slightly, pull him onto the fall. But fairly neat.

I think the key difference between our game and yours is in a word you used "DESIGNED". In our FT game, nothing is designed. It is totally random as to what you get. Our equivalent 'designed' sport to yours is on dummies (bumpers) in the form of a working test, where as far as possible every dog/handler gets the same retrieve. In FTs, because they are a live day shooting there is absolutely no chance of giving each dog the 'same' retrieve, so the retrieves are judged (or should be) accordingly...