RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20 Name Change.

16K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  swliszka 
#1 ·
After being told by all of the local Eukanuba Dealers that Premium Performance 30/20 has been discontinued, I called Eukanuba for information.

I was told that it is undergoing a bag/name change, and the former UPC is in fact discontinued.

The new name for Premium Performance 30/20 is going to be Premium Resilience 30/20. And it is the exact same formula as before. There are no formula changes.

In the meantime, you could have a lot of trouble finding Euk 30/20.
There is none in stock locally, and I'm going to have to order it online.

#5 ·
You folks your dog will love PP 30/20. Have been using it 12 ys and no problems. PP had name and bag changes but they have done a good job marketing. My last bag was on sale at Pet Supplies Plus for around $40 so I grabbed a bag. I don't like to keep alot around as these are big bags with long expiry dates. Good luck.

#9 ·
Marketing scam, Coke comes out with a new flavor and you can bet your ass Pepsi will shortly.

As far as Victor, you buy hamburger you pay hamburger price, you buy prime rib you pay prime rib price, QUALITY ingredients cost no way around that.

#10 ·
you are right I have read that Euk is going down to a 29 lb bag and you can be sure that the price will not go down. This seems to be a yearly marketing ploy. How small a bag can they get down to.
Don't tell me that costs have gone up that much in the last year. I understand it when grain prices soared 3 or 4 years ago that they had to recoup some of that but feed costs are down if anything this year.

I really like EUK and its not a big deal when you are feeding one or two dogs but when you have 6 or 8 or more it really makes a substantial cost increase that cant be ignored. And I don't believe that Euk's sponsorship of retriever sport is a strong as it was. They were not in attendance at the National Championships this past year.
Straw that broke the camels back??

Mark

#11 ·

And I don't believe that Euk's sponsorship of retriever sport is a strong as it was. They were not in attendance at the National Championships this past year.
Straw that broke the camels back??
Mark
That is certainly a consideration for me, I have been feeding Eukanuba Premium Performance more than 25 years but this may be that proverbial straw.

#12 ·
So even by the pallet, you can't get the 44# bags now?
I just had friends pick up 10 - 44# bags of the Euk LBP from the big dog show in Portland in January. $42 ea if you were buying 3 or more.... I can't remember if they had the 30/20 on the price list or not but prices were all very good.

#16 ·
Lol @Euk........ good food.... but not THAT good �� fed them all before there were specialty foods..... Euk ain't gonna happen.... course now I have a whopping three dogs instead of 10 or more.... I may try Victor though so thanks for that....

Yes you're right I contributed nothing ��

#17 ·
I switched from Euk to the Victors Performance Blend 26/18. 4 Dogs on it and they are all doing well on it.

#18 ·
This might be the last straw for me too.
It sucks that the company has taken this line. But, when it gets this bad you pretty much have to blow the whistle and handle.

It's a shame. I really like how my dogs do on Euk 30/20.

#19 ·
After seeing this thread Wednesday, I went to my local Petsmart and they still had 2 bags of the "old" 30/20 in 33 lb. bags. I almost bought them both but I still had almost a month's supply (for my 1 dog) at home so I just bought 1 of them and left 1 for someone else. I'm not very excited about the prospect of finding another food and I'm especially not excited about having to do it suddenly because I cannot find my old food and cannot make a gradual transition that is easier on my dog.

#25 ·
Availability is a HUGE consideration for me. I have always had my dogs on Euk, but in some places it was hard to find. We are doing another cross country trip this year, so I need to find out what is more readily available so I don't have to keep switching the dogs' diet. Are Dr. Tims or Victor available in PetSmarts, etc? Also, I hate to leave Euk because it is the only one that keeps my older dog's teeth in decent shape.

#29 ·
I tried loyall performance 4 dogs all had to double the amount I was feeding to maintain weight coats looked terrible and shedding was terrible

#32 ·
I have not seen this at all and I'm feeding 9 dogs. I fed PPP for 25 yrs and they got way to expensive for me. I switched to Loyall Professional 31/20 about 5 months ago and dogs look great and doing great on it. Very happy with Loyall plus it's almost $20 cheaper than PPP and a little bigger bag.

#35 ·
Yeah, that's what I thought it was.

But, that's not what I think Labman was talking about, since Purina and Eukanuba are two completely different companies.

#38 ·
I have had so many dog food questions and so dug deep after employees at PetCo told me to my face that Euk and Purina were a waste of money!! That just flew in my face so I have been reading up and would like to share some of what I have found for anyone interested.

1. FACT - Contrary to popular belief, the ingredients list actually tells very little about the nutritional value of the food and bay be used primarily to appeal to consumers. Pets require nutrients, not ingredients: a diet full of great sounding ingredients can be less nutritious than a diet containing ingredients that, at least to us, sound less appealing. A pet diet made of chicken breast, peas and white potato may sound like something we would eat but that doesn't make it healthier or higher quality than a diet containing pork liver, corn flour and fish meal. There can also be a big difference in quality and nutrition between 2 diets that have very similar ingredients - not all chicken is the same quality. According to the government regulatory agency AAFCO - ingredients must be listed in decending order by weight INCLUDING WATER WEIGHT). Therefore ingredients listed at the top of the list, typically the main proteins, carbohydrates and fat sources - are present in higher amounts by weight than the food items at the bottom. Because water is listed in the weight, food items like meat and vegetables will be listed higher than similar amounts of dry ingredients even though they may contribute fewer nutrients to the overall diet. So, just because chicken or lamb or duck is the first ingredient doesn't mean that food has more of that meat than one that has chicken meal or lamb meal a little farther down on the list.

FACT The AAFCO also provides regulatory definitions that must be adhered to by manufacturer for almost all pet food ingredients. These definitions define what an ingredient can and cannot include. An example of this follows; The AAFCO definition of meat by-products allows this ingredient to include organs and bone but NOT intestinal contents, hair, horns, teeth or hooves. Despite being clearly defined, a quick internet search will find multiple websites falsely stating that meat by-products contain hooves, horn and feces. Chicken is 70% moisture while chicken meal is 10% moisture so chicken will be much higher on the ingredient list than chicken meal, even if both ingredients are providing the same amount of actual chicken.

FACT - Marketing pet food as containing "human grade ingredients" is becoming commonplace. While appealing to many pet owners, it is important to be aware that the term "human grade" has no legal definition and is used primarily for marketing purposes. Foods, typically meats, are labeled either as " EDIBLE" or "INEDIBLE, NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION." Therefore, meats used in pet foods must be labeled as "inedible, not for human consumption" regardless o9f the source or quality of the meat. The only way to make a pet food with ingredients deemed "edible" is to never let the meat leave the human food chain and actually manufacture the food in a human food facility and transport it using human food trucks. So, just because a pet food isn't marketed as being "human grade" does not mean that the ingredients are poor quality.

FACT: Grain Free Diets- An Alternative option but don't dismiss the grains. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation being propagated regarding grains in pet foods. Contrary to popular belief, grain free diets do not offer health benefits over a diet that contains grains, and each diet should be assessed based on its overall nutrient profile rather than individual ingredients. Regardless of whether an animal is a dog or a cat, its body does not treat grains differently from other sources of carbohydrates - the body recognizes food by the nutrients it provides, not by whether the source is grain, potato or apple. Grains can be important sources of fiber, essential fatty acids and other nutrients and also serve an important purpose by decreasing the total fat and calories in a diet. Some manufacturers suggest that grains are used as " cheap fillers."However, grains contain protein and many important vitamins and minerals so, in fact, are used to provide nutritional value, not just " empty calories."

There is so much more to dog food. I realize that I am just touching the tip of the questions and answers. I am going to learn as much as I can to provide my dogs the best that I can offer them and still be able to afford to feed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.