The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Victor Dog Food

Default Victor Dog Food

Anyone use or familiar with Victor Super Premium dog foods? Just considering a move away from corn based feeds. Here's a link, http://www.victordogfood.com/
    David Didier, GA

Was feeding it to my older female with great results.

Been feeding for about a year with good results Did notice my coop has raised price last 2 times I purchased but still reasonable.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

I'd suggest eliminating all grains and legumes from your dog's diet. This includes wheat, corn, soy, peanuts, cashews, beans, and more.

You dog will do best eating a paleo/primal diet (for dogs). Humans also do best on a paleo/primal diet, but that's another discussion...

p.s. I use Nature's Variety Instinct and Instinct Raw.

Victor is the worst dog food I've ever fed, loose stools and after a couple of months the coats fade. I tried it 2 different times and the end result was the same. Several people I know that feed it had the same issues.

If you want to get away from the corn try Dr. Tims or Nutri Source, awesome foods with no corn.
    Last edited by sapitrucha; 03-12-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: info

Victor has never had any recalls, a very decent food.

Problem with corn in dog food is the quality of it. Far from human grade, it is often contaminated with molds/ aflatoxin . The FDA allows certain limits in human and pet food, but unfortunately testing sometimes get neglected and it takes reports of dying animals for the FDA to get involved.

The less grains / carbs one can afford to feed your pets it makes for a healthier dog. Carbs in them self are not bad, it is from what food source. Vegetables and fruits better then potato, peas, tapioca, corn, wheat, etc.

While Victor is a fine food, if it does not work, look at Dr. Tim's, because it really is a quality food made for performance dogs.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Just considering a move away from corn based feeds.
    David, have you (or anyone else out there and their bank account) heard of Wysong Epigen? I was staggered when I saw not the price (makes a $100 entry fee for the open look like flax seeds) but that it was canine/feline food! - and at 60 percent protein (!!) from organ meats (!!!).

MG

Quote Originally Posted by sapitrucha View Post
    Victor is the worst dog food I've ever fed, loose stools and after a couple of months the coats fade. I tried it 2 different times and the end result was the same. Several people I know that feed it had the same issues.

If you want to get away from the corn try Dr. Tims or Nutri Source, awesome foods with no corn.
    Lol. Maybe worst for your dog but not everyones. Mine do very well on Victor and do terrible on Dr. Tims. To the OP try it, its the only way to find out. I use the 24/20 blend and have great results. I have one male with stomach issues and its the only food he does good with.

Victor 26/18 Professional dog food has proven to be a very good dog food for our 3 labs. Plenty of energy, firm stools, shiny coats. We run hunt tests, field trials & hunt our labs. A great food @ reasonable price. Check it out. I think web site is victordogfood.com. Depending where you live, it may be hard to find. It is USA made in Texas

been on it for a year and half. my dad is a dealer so i get it at wholesale. i feed the Hi Pro Plus 30/20. coat never looked so good. firm stools. actually had a discussion all about stools for like 10 mins the other day within a few hours poop is rock hard and dark. i know a few pros feed the purple bag which is 26/18 and all their dogs do good on it as well. it delivers more nutrients per cup than Euk. which was what i was feeding so i went from 6 cups of Euk a day to 3.5 of Victor. plus its a true 40lb bag and usually $10-20 cheaper than Euk 29lb bag.

FYI prices went up from the company by $1 so be prepared for your local retail store to go up based on their profit margin. my dad informed me he was just going up $1