The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Victor Dog Food

David, me and most the guys i train, and hunt with have been feeding it for the last year. Contact Joe Overby as he's sort of the one that got us in north georgia all going on it. we've all been REAL PLEASED with the results.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Anyone out there use the "Grain Free Yukon River Salmon
    & Sweet Potato" ? I am currently using a grain free food (Natural Balance), but it is only 20/10 Protein/Fat, which doesnt seem to be the norm for working dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Problem with corn in dog food is the quality of it. Far from human grade, it is often contaminated with molds/ aflatoxin . The FDA allows certain limits in human and pet food, but unfortunately testing sometimes get neglected and it takes reports of dying animals for the FDA to get involved.
    When Diamond had problems with aflatoxin contamination, I read an explanation of testing (and occurrence) that made it sound difficult to prevent. Avoiding corn seems like a solution.

I have another concern with corn and soy, though, and that is the prevalence of GMO products. In a feeding study on pigs the GMO feed was associated with inflammation and other abnormalities. Not something on which I want to take a chance, for myself or the dogs.

Amy Dahl

I have been using this food for over a year now. Dogs are doing great on it. Had a friend that just switched and his dog is doing great on it as well. CamoDog, give it a shot, I think you will like it. I have never used that exact formula but love what I have used.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDog View Post
    Anyone out there use the "Grain Free Yukon River Salmon
    & Sweet Potato" ? I am currently using a grain free food (Natural Balance), but it is only 20/10 Protein/Fat, which doesnt seem to be the norm for working dogs.
    the grain free does come in smaller bags and is more expensive. when my dad signed up to be a distributor they included a few bags of the grain free for free. probably healthier for the dogs but he didnt notice any difference between it and their regular food as far as stool, coat, behavior etc

David, I have been feeding it for 1 year, my female looks better now than she did a year ago on pro plan. A buddy of mine has his 2 dogs on it as well.

David, like Blaine said I've been on it for over a year. I have yet to see a price increase and was actually told last week that I would not see one. I don't really feed any less than I did on euk but the kennel as a whole does very well on it. I have had only one dog not have great stool quality and only one other with a dull coat. FWIW, she's been on 4 other foods in her life and has never had a shiny coat. I feed the 24/20 and I like the weight management and recovery. Its a great food for the money. Its funny, I hear some say its the worst thing they've ever fed and I ask them what they're feeding now? Almost always its PPP...and that's BY FAR the second WORST food I've ever fed...right in front of science diet! Id recommend it to anyone. The distributor is in alpharetta. If you need his contact info let me know. I'll be glad to get you 2 together.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Been feeding for about seven months solid stools,shiny coat and tons of energy.This food is five star rated.

I've been feeding my dog the 26/18 formula for about a year now and he is doing great on it. One of my trainer's personal dogs was having weight issues and we started talking about the Victory food. He switched is personal dog to it and ended up going with the Victory 26/18 formula for all of his dogs.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

the price change that we are experiencing is related to the trucking/distrubution partner not the manufacturing plant. the company that delivers to our region has said all their dog food will be going up $1 for transportation costs.