RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Victor Dog Food

44K views 122 replies 73 participants last post by  weathered 
#1 ·
Anyone use or familiar with Victor Super Premium dog foods? Just considering a move away from corn based feeds. Here's a link, http://www.victordogfood.com/

#3 ·
Been feeding for about a year with good results Did notice my coop has raised price last 2 times I purchased but still reasonable.

#4 ·
I'd suggest eliminating all grains and legumes from your dog's diet. This includes wheat, corn, soy, peanuts, cashews, beans, and more.

You dog will do best eating a paleo/primal diet (for dogs). Humans also do best on a paleo/primal diet, but that's another discussion...

p.s. I use Nature's Variety Instinct and Instinct Raw.

#5 · (Edited)
Victor is the worst dog food I've ever fed, loose stools and after a couple of months the coats fade. I tried it 2 different times and the end result was the same. Several people I know that feed it had the same issues.

If you want to get away from the corn try Dr. Tims or Nutri Source, awesome foods with no corn.

#6 ·
Victor has never had any recalls, a very decent food.

Problem with corn in dog food is the quality of it. Far from human grade, it is often contaminated with molds/ aflatoxin . The FDA allows certain limits in human and pet food, but unfortunately testing sometimes get neglected and it takes reports of dying animals for the FDA to get involved.

The less grains / carbs one can afford to feed your pets it makes for a healthier dog. Carbs in them self are not bad, it is from what food source. Vegetables and fruits better then potato, peas, tapioca, corn, wheat, etc.

While Victor is a fine food, if it does not work, look at Dr. Tim's, because it really is a quality food made for performance dogs.

#13 ·
Problem with corn in dog food is the quality of it. Far from human grade, it is often contaminated with molds/ aflatoxin . The FDA allows certain limits in human and pet food, but unfortunately testing sometimes get neglected and it takes reports of dying animals for the FDA to get involved.
When Diamond had problems with aflatoxin contamination, I read an explanation of testing (and occurrence) that made it sound difficult to prevent. Avoiding corn seems like a solution.

I have another concern with corn and soy, though, and that is the prevalence of GMO products. In a feeding study on pigs the GMO feed was associated with inflammation and other abnormalities. Not something on which I want to take a chance, for myself or the dogs.

Amy Dahl

#9 ·
Victor 26/18 Professional dog food has proven to be a very good dog food for our 3 labs. Plenty of energy, firm stools, shiny coats. We run hunt tests, field trials & hunt our labs. A great food @ reasonable price. Check it out. I think web site is victordogfood.com. Depending where you live, it may be hard to find. It is USA made in Texas

#10 ·
been on it for a year and half. my dad is a dealer so i get it at wholesale. i feed the Hi Pro Plus 30/20. coat never looked so good. firm stools. actually had a discussion all about stools for like 10 mins the other day within a few hours poop is rock hard and dark. i know a few pros feed the purple bag which is 26/18 and all their dogs do good on it as well. it delivers more nutrients per cup than Euk. which was what i was feeding so i went from 6 cups of Euk a day to 3.5 of Victor. plus its a true 40lb bag and usually $10-20 cheaper than Euk 29lb bag.

FYI prices went up from the company by $1 so be prepared for your local retail store to go up based on their profit margin. my dad informed me he was just going up $1

#15 ·
the grain free does come in smaller bags and is more expensive. when my dad signed up to be a distributor they included a few bags of the grain free for free. probably healthier for the dogs but he didnt notice any difference between it and their regular food as far as stool, coat, behavior etc

#14 ·
I have been using this food for over a year now. Dogs are doing great on it. Had a friend that just switched and his dog is doing great on it as well. CamoDog, give it a shot, I think you will like it. I have never used that exact formula but love what I have used.

Russell

#17 ·
David, like Blaine said I've been on it for over a year. I have yet to see a price increase and was actually told last week that I would not see one. I don't really feed any less than I did on euk but the kennel as a whole does very well on it. I have had only one dog not have great stool quality and only one other with a dull coat. FWIW, she's been on 4 other foods in her life and has never had a shiny coat. I feed the 24/20 and I like the weight management and recovery. Its a great food for the money. Its funny, I hear some say its the worst thing they've ever fed and I ask them what they're feeding now? Almost always its PPP...and that's BY FAR the second WORST food I've ever fed...right in front of science diet! Id recommend it to anyone. The distributor is in alpharetta. If you need his contact info let me know. I'll be glad to get you 2 together.

#19 ·
I've been feeding my dog the 26/18 formula for about a year now and he is doing great on it. One of my trainer's personal dogs was having weight issues and we started talking about the Victory food. He switched is personal dog to it and ended up going with the Victory 26/18 formula for all of his dogs.

#22 ·
I started the thread because I have been feeding one of my dogs on the Victor 30/20 for about a month with good results in terms of stools & appetite. Both had been a problem on previous feed. I'm considering moving all my Dogs to Victor & just wanted some experience from others.

Another consideration is that I am opening a boarding kennel & will need to decide soon what feeds I'll offer.

#23 ·
I too had a problem with appetite with my previous food. Now with victor. The bowl might be on the ground for 3 or 4 mins before it's gone. Must taste pretty good.

if u have a federal tax Id and you won't infringe on any other distributorships u could probably become one for your kennel. Mark up is like $3. So for example my dad goes through 16 in 2 months, plus one for me and 3 for myself. Then sell the other 30 bags for $3 markup and you are looking at making $90 every 2 months or roughly 3 bags of high performance 30/20 paid for. Over a year $540 or 18 bags/2 months usage paid for.

There isnt any a minimum time frame (just min order size=1 ton=50 bags) that's just his usage to go through a ton

#27 ·
My minimum order is 15 bags. Any version. I'm glad the 30/20 is working for you. By far the most popular food I sell to clients is the 24/20 but following a close second is the grain free joint health. Many of my obedience and boarding clients like it. The Yukon Salmon is also quite popular as it too is grain free.

#32 ·
Feeding 4 Working dogs and a pug with stomach issues and food allergies. All dogs have been on it for around 4 months and it works great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.