The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping 8 week old puppy? Thoughts? things to do before?

Default Shipping 8 week old puppy? Thoughts? things to do before?

my pup is coming in May and the breeder is going to ship it to me, I am not too crazy about this whole thing but she says they do it all the time. My question is what can I have her do prior to shipping to condition the pup for the experience. obviously let him sleep in the kennel he will be shipped in but what else?

Is your flying or driving out to the breeder and picking the pup up yourself an option? There is also a service called Move the dog.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

My pup was 8 weeks old when he flew from Denver to San Francisco. He was fine. I understand your concerns but I am sure everything will be fine.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Call Katie from Move the Dog and pay the bill when pup arrives. Leave the rest to her and her people. She knows what she's doing.
    Darrin Greene

Cleo Watson told me when the pup was sleeping its crate she would turn on a vacume cleaner and put it on or near the crate. She would also rattle the crate around some to simulate air turbulence.

Call Katie!! Or pick up the pup yourself.

Keep in mind that many of the airlines have moved to a 10wk minimum. If the puppy is comfortable in a crate, they'll be fine. Make sure you bring a couple extra towels and clean up supplies incase the puppy is a mess once it arrives.... With a nice big towel, you can still pick up and love on the puppy immediately

Quote Originally Posted by c.j. View Post
    my pup is coming in May and the breeder is going to ship it to me, I am not too crazy about this whole thing but she says they do it all the time. My question is what can I have her do prior to shipping to condition the pup for the experience. obviously let him sleep in the kennel he will be shipped in but what else?
    Direct flights are the way to go. By May, weather hopefully will not be an issue. I have shipped pups and dogs without issue. I have also flown out to get pups, and brought them back in cabin with me. You have to make an extra reservation, and they charge you to do it, but it's a great option. Pups slept like a baby.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Before you go this route consider this, you are asking for bids for shipping your puppy. The person that wins may or may not know anything about dogs other than they need to be feed and aired. Young puppies do not have all of their shots and therefore should not be exposed to areas where other dogs may frequent. Airing a puppy in the wrong place could equal a sick puppy.

I have used Move the Dog and can tell you that Katie is the BEST! I didn't worry even one moment about that puppy when it left me. On the other hand I have flown puppies and worried about them until I heard they were picked up by the person on the other end.

Cost of Shipping a puppy:
    Crate - $50
    Special bowls & sticker for crate - $15
    Vet's health certificate - $50
    Airline ticket - $300 (or more)
    Peace of Mind - Priceless

BTW, if I do fly a puppy I put their crate on top of the washer while it is running to get them used to motion and noise.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home