The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping 8 week old puppy? Thoughts? things to do before?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Keep in mind that many of the airlines have moved to a 10wk minimum. If the puppy is comfortable in a crate, they'll be fine. Make sure you bring a couple extra towels and clean up supplies incase the puppy is a mess once it arrives.... With a nice big towel, you can still pick up and love on the puppy immediately
    Delta is definitley 10 weeks, many of the others are still 8 weeks. American, United to name a couple. I am moving one in May as well as just checked in the last few days.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Delta is definitley 10 weeks, many of the others are still 8 weeks. American, United to name a couple. I am moving one in May as well as just checked in the last few days.
    Delta requires 10 weeks for puppies as carry on, but 8 weeks for the Delta Cargo Pet First program. http://www.deltacargo.com/ProductsRa...veAnimals.aspx

I have successfully used the Delta Cargo Pet First option when shipping my puppies. Whenever I ship a puppy, I do my absolute best to try to condition the puppy for any kind of flight conditions to reduce stress on the puppy. I also insist on very good communication with my puppy buyers prior too and during the shipping process. I track all my puppy shipments on both the Delta Cargo website and also Flightaware website.

Ground transport is also a good option, Katie from Move the Dog is highly recommended. I've personally used Chuck from The Gundog's Express to transport one of my adult dogs from MN to MO and that went very well.

In October of 2013, I used Gundog Express operated by Chuckand Heather, both experienced gundog breeder / trainer / owners. Gundog Express offers door to door service over a very expansive service area. I could not have been more pleased with their service. My pup arrived in great condition and was obviously affectionately attached to Heather as the caregiver / driver that had made the trip with him. Heather stayed in communication with me along the way and they were very accomodating to my needs. This is a great, cost effective, and more safe / less traumatic alternative to flying a pup on it's own. Call Chuck (701) 793-4585 or Heather (701) 793-4586 and you won't be disappointed in the highly professional gundog transport service they provide.

Irishwhistler

If you call Katie you have no worries I would be hard pressed to ship a pup any other way!!! And to one of the previous threads about the sweeper, miss ya Cleo !

Continental/united has a good program to ship puppies. I shipped four out of the last litter without incident. Two required plane changes in Houston and arrived in food shape. I put shipping crates in the puppy room for the puppies to sleep in, so they were used to them. It is sad to drop them off at the freight hanger, though.

I had one shipped from Indiana to NJ breeder
    Did a really good job securing my pup in a nice safe crate
    With water some of the food she was giving him for his first meal
    With us and some wood chips where he did his business, only issue was the
    Airport had the pup for 4hrs before releasing him to us
    Which really ticked me off, still dnt know y they did that and he had some poop
    On him but other then that it wasnt too bad

The down side of 10 weeks old for carry on is the little suckers are by then probably nice fat plump big suckers that barely fit into a Sherpa bag. Could be a problem if someone says pup is too big for carry on when you're ready to board.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie