The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last "PICK" pup

My dog was the runt.. looked like he was from a different litter all together, I had 3rd pick but was drawn to the runt, he seemed to follow me and pay attention and was not as wild as the rest. Long story short He turned out to be a outstanding dog bigger then every dog in his litter, and my trainer who had his brother (the pick) and 2 of his sisters said that my dog exhibits traits that they dont, he is a hard worker and eager to please... Curently working on his SH, Seasoned and allready an APR(pointing lab) and not even 2 yet
    Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant!

Marilyn, I have a 19 month old BLF that has NFC AFC Sorrm's Ridtide Star in her lineage. I don't FT or HT but so far she is working out grerat. (I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but just thought I would brag)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Fender View Post
    Many successful pups have been the left over pup in a litter --- more than only mine.
    My 1996 NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star (Rascal) was a left over pup that failed all his puppy tests and no one wanted him.
    I called and asked about him on a Wednesday and he arrived that Friday at 7 1/2 weeks old from Texas.
    Rascal's son Chip became 2000 Canadian National Amateur Champion. I am pleased to have one of Rascal's pups (by frozen) sleeping under my computer table right now at 4 months old.

Just FYI

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
    Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Stormís Riptide Star and birthplace to QAA of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net

My Ol' Maverick was the last pick, he was the only puppy left at 12 weeks old. All the other pups were sold for $800. I bought him for $100 bill. He was extremely special to me. I know he had a brother go up to Virginia and a few more locally, but to my knowledge, he was the only one that got any titles of any kind. He was also, by far, the best looking, most well built dog out of the litter.

I feel like he chose me, much more than me choosing him. And being my first dog, that was probably better.

Now, I've got a deposit in on a new puppy that I'm very excited about. And to my knowledge, I was the first to get my deposit in, meaning I have pick of the litter. I may let everyone else pick and take the one that's left. Who knows...?
    Last edited by Trent Goree; 03-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Define success? I don’t train for or run any trials so I can’t qualify my success like the rest of you but I am an occasional/newly introduced bird hunter and am enjoying the heck out of my last pick male that’s almost 3 years old now. Being a first time dog owner he is making this process extremely easy for me. He was passed over because he was the big boy of the litter but his heart and drive is also as big as any other dog’s. My friend initially bought his sister and then talked me into getting one of the two remaining litter mates. When we showed up at the breeders only this guy was left. Via this website I’ve also met a member (Donna Kerr) who has a brother as well as the father and she first introduced me to OB work at a local kennel club. Since then we’ve gone through formal gun dog training and I was able to hunt for the first time over my own dog last year. It was just him and I and we had a successful goose hunt. Couldn’t have been prouder! Now we have to prepare for a North Dakota hunt coming up in October!! Can’t wait for that!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    3X NFC Lottie
    I love Lottie's story

John Gassner needs to get on here and tell his story about FC Lacrosse Max Q Jake JH....the puppy no one wanted because he has a white patch on his chest.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    John Gassner needs to get on here and tell his story about FC Lacrosse Max Q Jake JH....the puppy no one wanted because he has a white patch on his chest.
    Yes, he does.

(BTW, that's FC AFC LaCrosse Max Q Jake JH, FDHF, OS)

Bought a Golden Retriever for my son, developed cataracts at about a year old. He wanted to keep dog. Contacted breeder and she agreed to replace it. Asked if I would take a Lab female, only one left, as a replacement out of a litter of 9. I said sure what the heck. Met the breeder at a dog training area and out of the truck comes the ugliness put her head in a coke bottle pup . Acted grateful, took the pup home wouldnt retrieve at about 8 or 9 weeks old. At about 4 months old it would run out to the mark, grab it, walk back about 4 or five yards, spit out the bumper start to sniff around. Hmm! think I am going to find a new home for this nondescript piece of $#@&. One of my training partners at the time, Moni Cundari says Earl give the pup another few months. Heck pup won't even go in the water. At seven months old she started doing Qual triples with retired guns. Hmm! at 9 months old she placed in her first licensed derby. She ended up with 25 derby points. She Jammed an open and won the amateur all-age the next day as a still two year old. Moni thank you . She became FC/AFC Mioak's Criquetpas National Open finalist at four years old. You just never know! She was not pretty, 72 pounds, tick-like body, spindle legs, narrow head,
    as she got older everyone said how good looking she was, at about 6 years old my wife said she sure is ugly. It seems the more accomplished she became the better looking she became! Mickey thanks for the Golden replacement!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yes, he does.

Andy. Just proves everyone knows Gassner is the BSer.

Yes, he does.

Sorry Andy, I had never seen you post on the forum. I didn't know you frequented such a questionable place on the web
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home