The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding Overtime Compensation

Default Expanding Overtime Compensation

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...=30531749&_r=0

This could have far-reaching ripples ... will certainly hit some small businesses hard in the pocketbook.

If the changes to the overtime regulations are made, it will fall to the Labor Departmentís wage and hour administrator to put them into effect. That position has been vacant since Mr. Obama took office. David Weil, a professor at the Boston University School of Management, is the latest nominee for the post. He is awaiting confirmation.
    Also makes me wonder how important some govt jobs are that we can "survive" with them being vacant for over 5 years? Evidently, there are several IG positions that still remain vacant as well.

Wonder what happens to the $ that was appropriated to pay those positions when the positions are vacant?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

They are vacant because Republicans refuse to let Obama fill them. Just because their being vacant doesn't directly affect you doesn't mean that people aren't being hurt by leaving them vacant. Sheesh...

When they originally instituted overtime and the 40 hour work week, there were folks who said that it would be devastating.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    They are vacant because Republicans refuse to let Obama fill them. Just because their being vacant doesn't directly affect you doesn't mean that people aren't being hurt by leaving them vacant. Sheesh...

When they originally instituted overtime and the 40 hour work week, there were folks who said that it would be devastating.
    How about some specifics? What jobs can't Obama fill because of the GOP?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

People should be compensated for their time. I've missed kids and grandkids birthdays due to being a salaried exempt employee. Rather than bring in the person that gets paid overtime to do the work, the company chose to bring in the salaried exempt employees and work them for free. I would have no problem with the company hiring more people to avoid paying overtime. Let me work the actual hours I am paid for. My salary is based on a 40 hour work week, but most weeks I work in excess of 55 hours. I would love to get the 15 hours of 1.5 times my hourly rate, I'd even settle for stright time for those other 15 hours. I don't see it happening, but if it did, I wouldn't be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

As I recall, for a couple of months Obama could appoint just about anybody he wanted to appoint due to the new rules in the Senate. Even before that, most of his appointees were being confirmed.

I'm sure that there are some who abuse the overtime rules by not paying overtime where it is due. However, there is some law in place already that curb attempted abuse. OTOH, there are also some companies that pay OT to already-well-paid workers who supervise just a couple of other people. I worked for one of those companies. (I was salaried).

Our small company was very flexible in letting workers make up time if they had to leave early on a given day; or needed a 1/2 day for some purpose (doctor appointments, personal business), and still gave "personal business" days that could be used as sick days or for other "personal business".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    How about some specifics? What jobs can't Obama fill because of the GOP?
    I think if you read the last line of the quote that Gerry posted, it says that the nominee is waiting for confirmation. Quit dragging your feet and confirm or deny the nomination. Not you personally sir, but the people doing the confirmation. If the nomination is denied, nominate someone else and get someone confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    As I recall, for a couple of months Obama could appoint just about anybody he wanted to appoint due to the new rules in the Senate. Even before that, most of his appointees were being confirmed.

I'm sure that there are some who abuse the overtime rules by not paying overtime where it is due. However, there is some law in place already that curb attempted abuse. OTOH, there are also some companies that pay OT to already-well-paid workers who supervise just a couple of other people. I worked for one of those companies. (I was salaried).

Obama has had 82 nominees blocked, compare that to the 86 nominees that were blocked by all other presidents combined. https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-report.html
    As I understand it these are just the people voted down and does not included those people who asked to be removed from consideration because their nomination has been sitting in limbo for years or are currently being filibustered.

Our small company was very flexible in letting workers make up time if they had to leave early on a given day; or needed a 1/2 day for some purpose (doctor appointments, personal business), and still gave "personal business" days that could be used as sick days or for other "personal business".

Obama has had 82 nominees blocked, compare that to the 86 nominees that were blocked by all other presidents combined. https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-report.html
    As I understand it these are just the people voted down and does not included those people who asked to be removed from consideration because their nomination has been sitting in limbo for years or are currently being filibustered.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I also found Henlee's article. Found many references to this also from Daily Kos and Daily Beast, Huff Post, etc. I also found this one http://www.judicialnetwork.com/lie-s...uster-edition/ It's worth reading.

There is no refuting the absolute #s, but it deserves looking at specifics as well. Cass Sunstein was a very unpopular nomination, with radical leanings. The latest rejection may have been publicized due to the high-profile defense case, but of more concern is that this nominee actually put forth his belief that he believes that govt should control churches; that govt should have the ability to "approve" those who run the churches and how churches are run.

Obama's stated goal was to "fundamentally transform" our country. If his appointments were rejected, perhaps even Ds were not ready for the transformation he had in mind.

As for the expansion of overtime, it could be a good thing if applied correctly. I'm just not so sure that it will be. It would be hard for a mortgage loan officer (included in the groups mentioned in the article I read) to punch a clock to validate the overtime. Such people are paid a draw, plus receive commission. Those who work hard, and put in extra time, often do quite well financially.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    People should be compensated for their time. I've missed kids and grandkids birthdays due to being a salaried exempt employee. Rather than bring in the person that gets paid overtime to do the work, the company chose to bring in the salaried exempt employees and work them for free. I would have no problem with the company hiring more people to avoid paying overtime. Let me work the actual hours I am paid for. My salary is based on a 40 hour work week, but most weeks I work in excess of 55 hours. I would love to get the 15 hours of 1.5 times my hourly rate, I'd even settle for stright time for those other 15 hours. I don't see it happening, but if it did, I wouldn't be upset.
    The fruit of the salary tree was just too good to be true. Now, you know how Adam felt.