The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding Overtime Compensation

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Obama has had 82 nominees blocked, compare that to the 86 nominees that were blocked by all other presidents combined. https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-report.html
    As I understand it these are just the people voted down and does not included those people who asked to be removed from consideration because their nomination has been sitting in limbo for years or are currently being filibustered.
    Could it possibly be that the majority of his nominees are not suited for the positions like his recent ambassador nominations or the inexperienced infant he I trying to name Surgeon General. As incompetent as Obama is at President, how could anyone expect him to name capable appointees?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    People should be compensated for their time. I've missed kids and grandkids birthdays due to being a salaried exempt employee. Rather than bring in the person that gets paid overtime to do the work, the company chose to bring in the salaried exempt employees and work them for free. I would have no problem with the company hiring more people to avoid paying overtime. Let me work the actual hours I am paid for. My salary is based on a 40 hour work week, but most weeks I work in excess of 55 hours. I would love to get the 15 hours of 1.5 times my hourly rate, I'd even settle for stright time for those other 15 hours. I don't see it happening, but if it did, I wouldn't be upset.
    When you become 'Salary Exempt' you no longer are 'on the clock'. You are paid to complete the job, whatever it may be. Your employer cannot force you work overtime nor can they require that you work 40 hours, as long as the job gets done properly. If a managers tries to terminate you do to coming in late or not staying 40 hours he will loose that case, unless he/she can prove that your job performance was below standard. This is part of Management 101 or HR training, real basic stuff....

The other option, you always had, if your employer was treating you poorly was to find another job and quit!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    When you become 'Salary Exempt' you no longer are 'on the clock'. You are paid to complete the job, whatever it may be. Your employer cannot force you work overtime nor can they require that you work 40 hours, as long as the job gets done properly. If a managers tries to terminate you do to coming in late or not staying 40 hours he will loose that case, unless he/she can prove that your job performance was below standard. This is part of Management 101 or HR training, real basic stuff....

The other option, you always had, if your employer was treating you poorly was to find another job and quit!
    You're either a professional or a clock puncher, if you want to be a clock puncher expect to get treated like one. I prefer the perks of being treated like a professional. If you truly are a professional and are being required to work excessive hours your skills will allow you to seek employment elsewhere.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Never said they treat me badly. Was just making a generalized statement that it would be nice if I got compensated for the 15 extra hours I put in each week to get the job done. Probably not gonna happen though, so life goes on.

I have also seen times when someone has had nothing but stellar reviews up until they complained to the boss that they needed a raise due to the excess hours they put in. Suddenly, the next review was below standard, they get put on a PIP with unrealistic goals, don't make the goals and get let go. The HR people know how to manipulate things to cover their butts. I know of another guy that had 33 years with the company, his department was the top performer in the plant year in and year out. His wife got sick and accrued a large amount of medical bills, company was self insured, suddenly, he wasn't getting the job done up to standards and they cut him loose.
    Last edited by shinyhead; 03-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Govt employees cost more than private sector employees. Stats from Bureau of Labor Statistics
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...ally-Shut-Down
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    Never said they treat me badly. Was just making a generalized statement that it would be nice if I got compensated for the 15 extra hours I put in each week to get the job done. Probably not gonna happen though, so life goes on.

I have also seen times when someone has had nothing but stellar reviews up until they complained to the boss that they needed a raise due to the excess hours they put in. Suddenly, the next review was below standard, they get put on a PIP with unrealistic goals, don't make the goals and get let go. The HR people know how to manipulate things to cover their butts. I know of another guy that had 33 years with the company, his department was the top performer in the plant year in and year out. His wife got sick and accrued a large amount of medical bills, company was self insured, suddenly, he wasn't getting the job done up to standards and they cut him loose.
    Shinyhead...don't we all have a bunch of stories people have told us. I don't really listen to 2nd hand stories or rumors, never found much use of them. I prefer to make judgements based on what I find to be true. Nothing worse than a bunch of guys, setting in the lunch room gabbing about all the bad things going on in the company, except maybe a bunch of women doing the same....

We have plenty of laws to protect us....we just have to be smart enough to stand up....Like I said if my boss doesn't treat me fairly, I would find another job! Not look to a third party for help....that's just me and how I was raised...

Shinyhead...don't we all have a bunch of stories people have told us. I don't really listen to 2nd hand stories or rumors, never found much use of them. I prefer to make judgements based on what I find to be true. Nothing worse than a bunch of guys, setting in the lunch room gabbing about all the bad things going on in the company, except maybe a bunch of women doing the same....

We have plenty of laws to protect us....we just have to be smart enough to stand up....Like I said if my boss doesn't treat me fairly, I would find another job! Not look to a third party for help....that's just me and how I was raised...
    And that is the basic divide between sides on this issue. Some of us believe that we should take responsibility for our own lives and livelyhood. We make decisions based on our own best interest and live with the results of those decisions. If we enter freely into an employment contract, we uphold our end and expect the employer to uphold his. If either party fails to meet expectations, we move on and seek a new employment contract elsewhere.
    Others enter freely into an employment contract, become dissatisfied and then expect to change the terms to something more favorable to them. If they cannot do so, they expect unions or government to get involved on their behalf.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

This is funny.
    You want OT for more hours?
    How would you feel about extra pay for the more productive worker??

No.....wait......that wouldn't be fair, would it???????

all the overtime rile is going to do is further erosion and elimination of the 40 hour work week...similar to what the ACA has done..To show you how misinformed the low information person is, many of my fellow employees thought the new 30 hour work week, were implemented because the hotel didnt want to pay the employees...the administration thinks that employers will pay the overtime, but they wont, because it wont be cost effective. They will either drop services or cut back on operating hours in order to eliminate paying overtime
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    And that is the basic divide between sides on this issue. Some of us believe that we should take responsibility for our own lives and livelyhood. We make decisions based on our own best interest and live with the results of those decisions. If we enter freely into an employment contract, we uphold our end and expect the employer to uphold his. If either party fails to meet expectations, we move on and seek a new employment contract elsewhere.
    Others enter freely into an employment contract, become dissatisfied and then expect to change the terms to something more favorable to them. If they cannot do so, they expect unions or government to get involved on their behalf.
    I accept the path I've chosen and am perfectly happy with my job and employer. I have grown accustomed to the hours because that is what the job takes for the company to have an efficient operation. I only said it would be a nice thing tol get the extra pay, knowing full well that my choice in career path will not make it a reality. I just keep doing my job and live my life.