The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any welders here? GDG

Default Any welders here? GDG

I don't weld much at all but was thinking about getting a welding table for some of the basic stuff I do. I'd like to build a few tables, aquarium stands, stuff like that. I found this one from Northern Tool and was wondering if it might work for the types of stuff I'm talking about doing or if there are better options for the money. This one comes with the clamps, 90 degree clamps, etc.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9586_200609586
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I think that one will work great. To start with. You could always build your self one to suit you with exactly what you need.

For $479 you could build about anything you want and weld it yourself. Buy good quality clamps of different styles and variations and you can do almost anything on a flat table. flats can always be ground and you dont have to worry about the pretty surface on that one. As you get slag or spots on the the table you will have to grind it off etc.
    "if it flies it dies, then it fries"

CPR Duffys FIre Eyed Jade
    CPR GMPR Duffys Jazzed Up Rippin Ruby QAA
    up and coming: Duffys Jazzy Jaded Emeralds got a Chance JH

For 479 you could build two or three but I would diffintly build my own to suit my needs such as height and size and I would build it with a solid top and get a piece of cat walk steel about 3x3 or so and use it to put on table to get your work pieces off of the table top then you a a multi function table instead of just a welding table

Quote Originally Posted by 390sport View Post
    For 479 you could build two or three but I would diffintly build my own to suit my needs such as height and size and I would build it with a solid top and get a piece of cat walk steel about 3x3 or so and use it to put on table to get your work pieces off of the table top then you a a multi function table instead of just a welding table
    Agree. Check out the Bessy line of fixture clamps .

Strong Hand makes great fixture tables. If you weld enough, you won't be sorry you purchased it. but the occasional welding job can be completed on a homemade welded table.

The information provided on the link says that the table componants are made from 4mm materal.
    Unless my conversion is way off base, 4mm = 0.15748031496062992 or right around 1/64'', Too light for my taste .

They have other welding tables advertised without clamps for under $100 which tells me they are asking way too much $$$ for those light duty clamps....

As others have said build it yourself.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I made a welding/plasma table out of an old Black and Decker Workmate. Removed the wood top and made a top out of several pieces of angle iron. It folds nicely to hang on my welding cart out of the way and was free. I'm sure a true welding table would be nicer but this fits my hobby welder needs very nicely.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Thickness is 4mm. 4mm=.157"=5/32". That is not sufficient for a welding table. For my use, anything under 5/8" thick won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by willson View Post
    Thickness is 4mm. 4mm=.157"=5/32". That is not sufficient for a welding table. For my use, anything under 5/8" thick won't cut it.
    And Willson is the SHIT when it comes to welding!!! SS wingers,SS holding blind stakes and SS stakeouts !!!