The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any welders here? GDG

i just use the frame rack at the body shop where i work 20 ft long and 12 feet wide solid 3/8 inch hardened steel with all kinds of clamps and chains. Just my two cents.
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

What is a good welder for a DIY person? something that a guy could use once in a while on alum or ferrous metals
    Thanks
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

well to weld aluminum you need a different setup then in you are welding say mild steel and. your best bet is to by a miller mig with tig abilities and a possilbly spool gun if your welding aluminum sheet total cost $4500
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Thanks for the input everyone, just the info I was looking for. I wondered about the thickness but wasn't sure.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

the ones I use at work are 3/4 to 1 inch thick . if I was going to make one for at home I would make it out of 3/8 plate and 2+2+ 1/4 angle and make the frame 3 to 4 inchs inside the edge of the plate so it easy to clamp stuff down with.

If your not going pro. and just doing a few things here and there, I would suggest a few things. I would have someone else do the welding. that way, you don't have to buy the stuff, and store it. If you don't want to spend much on labor, go to a community college with a welding program, and ask them if they would do the project.

If you must have the stuff, look on Craigslist.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

It's not about jut getting a specific project done, it's about me enjoying building stuff, tinkering, etc. It's my unwind.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    What is a good welder for a DIY person? something that a guy could use once in a while on alum or ferrous metals
    Thanks
    Hobart 140.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I can see why they put the holes in it but I think they would end up with splatter in them making them useless. At very least a pain to keep clean. It would be a good first project to build your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Thanks
    I have an Eastwood 175 works on either 220v or 110V came with the spool gun for aluminum as well. Whole setup after getting a bottle for around $1000. Its not as good as the Miller, Lincoln, etc but for a hobby person it gets the job done and 1/2 or less the cost. The Millers with the autoset are really nice if you have some extra cash though. I had a Hobart 140 and found it to be too small for working on anything remotely beefy.