The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single T Dog Laying Down On Sit

Default Single T Dog Laying Down On Sit

Don't like it but don't have any idea how to fix it or know if it is worth the trouble to fix. Or will it go away when we start to handle in the field?

Thats curious. I'm sure an expert will be along soon enough to offer much more constructive suggestions than I can. One of the biggest problems I had in my dogs early training was keeping the tempo up during drills. How much time are you giving between casts? If the dog has time to lay down perhaps your not moving the drill fast enough. Do you have enough bumpers out, or are you constantly having to reload the piles thus giving the dog time to relax?

Just my thoughts.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Don't like it but don't have any idea how to fix it or know if it is worth the trouble to fix. Or will it go away when we start to handle in the field?
    If you mean lying down on the sit whistle it will never go away and will hamper you when running blinds particularly at a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    If you mean lying down on the sit whistle it will never go away and will hamper you when running blinds particularly at a distance.
    See, someone much smarter came along with a very good question......
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I agree. I would fix this now while doing drill work. This is exactly the time to fix problems like this that arise. There are a number of options that you can use to fix this problem and you may have to use a combination of them before the problem completely disappears. You can blow the come in whistle immediately followed by the sit whistle. This is the easiest solution but sometimes the dog will lie back down. If so you can approach the dog and step on his front paws causing him to draw them in, bringing him up to sit. If you are using a cord you can pull the dog up into position. If not you can grab the collar and pull him up the same way. Last, and I mean LAST, you can trying giving the dog a nick on the collar while commanding sit and pulling him up into position. This method should not be used until you have done MANY sessions with the other corrections and you are SURE the dog understands what you are asking. Do not give your dog a cast from the down position, not even one time. It might take a while but with persistence and consistency this problem can be fixed.
    Last edited by Tony Marshall; 03-13-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Go back to OB, teach the dog both sit and down. Work on it with leash. You have to evaluate why he is laying down. First make sure he has an understanding of both. Sometimes in T work the dog lays down as an avoidance to the pressure being applied. Think through how you are doing the work and make sure you understand what the reason is he's laying down.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I have encountered this problem in the past. I believe the dog is confused. I teach sit and down commands for hunting situations. Are you you using sit only or sit down as a command. The dog needs to be taught the difference and the two commands sit down should never be used together. You can do this fix. Try adding an up command when the dog lays down coupled with a hand gesture, Make a fist move it straight in front of you from chest to top of head. Keep the dog in front of you close so you can correct and give the down command. Arm out hand flat from chest toward the ground. Then give the up followed by a sit. When the dog gets the lesson you can reintroduce the whistle on the sit. I do this drill in my front room or somewhere different than their working area.
    Last edited by fishin444; 03-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Laying down is sometimes a pressure related issue.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Laying down is sometimes a pressure related issue.

john
    I believe I did put too much pressure on him during mini t. Rope, collar, and inexperience came together in a bad way. Got rid of the rope and it improved but still hasn't gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Go back to OB, teach the dog both sit and down. Work on it with leash. You have to evaluate why he is laying down. First make sure he has an understanding of both. Sometimes in T work the dog lays down as an avoidance to the pressure being applied. Think through how you are doing the work and make sure you understand what the reason is he's laying down.

/Paul
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
    Darrin Greene