The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single T Dog Laying Down On Sit

Hard to say ....but my personal experience with a particular dog. When she experienced uncertainty and became unsure of the concept or drill she would lay down. This dog went on to be a solid and consistent Master dog .But almost all new concepts, her confidence would drop and she would lay down. Definitely pressure related . But this went away after she understood and the confidence came back up with repetition.

X 2 on marching out there and stepping on front toes. won't take long for dog to start self correcting when it sees you walking at him. can take quite a few sessions and consistency to get corrected.

I totally ignore it and continue the drill.Had a few over the years that did this,and never had one that continued doing it .

Single T my dog is usually still wearing a shock and prong collar with a tab (correct heeling etc.), thus when they lay down on the whistle; I go out and reinforce the sit with the prong collar. I've seen a couple of adamant downers but it usually goes away.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    I totally ignore it and continue the drill.Had a few over the years that did this,and never had one that continued doing it .
    I agree. Only ever had one to continue doing it...and it only happens depending on who's running her!
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I am confused as usual. Are you talking about laying down on the sit whistle enroute to the pile or when you say sit at your side before sending? If it is the former, Lardy says to deal with it the same as a crooked sit. Search crooked sit. If it is the latter then ob with a tab.

I don't think it will go away by itself.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-13-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I am confused as usual. Are you talking about laying down on the sit whistle enroute to the pile or when you say sit at your side before sending? If it is the former, Lardy says to deal with it the same as a crooked sit. Search crooked sit. If it is the latter then ob with a tab.

I don't think it will go away by itself.
    On the sit whistle enroute to the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    I believe I did put too much pressure on him during mini t. Rope, collar, and inexperience came together in a bad way. Got rid of the rope and it improved but still hasn't gone away.
    This doesn't sound like an obedience issue. You need to take a look at what got you to this point and what the cause of the problem may be. I think you figured it out in your statement.

I think you are dealing with a case of avoidance. Your dog is anticipating the pressure. When he sat during the mini T, you may have put to much pressure on him to get the result you wanted. So now he lies down in an attempt to "avoid" the pressure.

What I would do is back up to pile work. Start close to the pile and send over and over using no pressure. Continue to increase the distance but take your time. You need to build momentum and confidence at this point.

You need to remember. When you do drills you are teaching. Your dog needs more reps than pressure. You wouldn't ask first grader to do algebra. Take your time.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    Don't like it but don't have any idea how to fix it or know if it is worth the trouble to fix. Or will it go away when we start to handle in the field?
    How old is this dog?

I have one that will do it on blinds if I put a little pressure on her. It started on T. I just cast her right out of it and she very rarely does it. Funny thing is I usually get a really good cast. She is 1 yr 11 months old and I don't make a big deal of it. It has got a lot better with more confidence on blinds as I don't have to correct her much.