The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of an Honor / And creeping in a Master

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Unless we can read our dogs' minds we have no idea what their intent is LOL.

P.S. Jennifer, congrats on the pass. If I waited till I thought I was totally ready to enter an event, I would have entered exactly zero events!
    There is a difference between being "totally ready" and having a dog commit a "sin" that will only continue to get worse and cause a lack of success in higher stakes. Besides Jennifer, I have a friend who has a world class agility dog. She is awesome and has pulled him out of trouble on numerous occasions. Mach 5. He gets another dog puppy of another breed and is trying to run that dog too early. That dog cannot get through its contacts to save its behind because he is running too early, is not committing to the Contacts, and therefore cannot get through an event. He has done beautifully in jumpers where there are no contacts. What a shame and a crime for that young dog. The comment has already been made by the owner, "well he is not princess". No, but he could be if you ever bothered to train him like he did princess. What a shame for that young dog but he is being thought less because he is not as good as princess. When it actually is the owner's fault.

there is no problem testing the waters to see how your dog is doing, but when you know you have a repeated faults, and you continue to run it anyway, and you know that it will lead to a lack of success at higher levels, then who's fault is that?

What a shame for the dog. And if you really want to showcase what a great trainer you are, Why in the heck would you do that? it makes absolutely no sense.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Tomorrow, I get out the drawing board for training plans, dust off the clicker and make some magic. Fun times!
    if nothin' else, ya have a great attitude
    have fun with your dawg.
    So, the live bird was tossed and shot as the first bird?
    then ol' fang wanted more live birds, and not go out to the dead bird station?
    the old training trick is drop a crate of live birds at each of your gunning stations.
    have your bird boys give um a little kick to get um quacking when you sit up on the mat.
    gets um thinking there are live birds at every station and if they want to play fetch watch the mark.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    if nothin' else, ya have a great attitude
    have fun with your dawg.
    So, the live bird was tossed and shot as the first bird?
    then ol' fang wanted more live birds, and not go out to the dead bird station?
    the old training trick is drop a crate of live birds at each of your gunning stations.
    have your bird boys give um a little kick to get um quacking when you sit up on the mat.
    gets um thinking there are live birds at every station and if they want to play fetch watch the mark.
    Great idea, Ken! That is one that will work on several levels! Thanks

You are right, Jennifer, the fun of the journey is what is most important. Everyone has their own goals and need not justify them to anyone else. I think what folks are trying to say is that the journey is even more fun if you go into it well prepared.

I do remember when you first began posting here, your goals were quite lofty. Welcome to the real world and good luck. I mean that sincerely. But to me, it raises a red flag when someone comes on RTF on the Thursday before the trial, asking the "what-can-I-get-away-with" question.

Remember, this is not a race.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Jennifer, copying from Lester's suggestion: https://averysportingdog.com/trainers-heeling-stick A clicker that has worked well for many in the same situation
    Just another form of positive reinforcement. I am positive if you use the reinforcement it will help.
    Did your husband get a lab?

Jeff
    Last edited by labsforme; 03-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Jennifer, copying from Lester's suggestion: https://averysportingdog.com/trainers-heeling-stick A clicker that has worked well for many in the same situation
    Just another form of positive reinforcement. I am positive if you use the reinforcement it will help.
    Did your husband get a lab?

Jeff
    You're in so much trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    You are right, Jennifer, the fun of the journey is what is most important. Everyone has their own goals and need not justify them to anyone else. I think what folks are trying to say is that the journey is even more fun if you go into it well prepared.

I do remember when you first began posting here, your goals were quite lofty. Welcome to the real world and good luck. I mean that sincerely. But to me, it raises a red flag when someone comes on RTF on the Thursday before the trial, asking the "what-can-I-get-away-with" question.

JS
    Starting to get it, JS. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post

JS
    Great post Jack!! Sums up my thoughts succinctly.
    Congrats on the pass Jennifer and keep enjoying the journey!!

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    BS.

When a dog breaks, it's intent is obvious.
    If you can't tell the difference between creeping and breaking, you have no business in the Judge's chair.
    Just curious: how would you judge the dog that breaks--clearly left with the intention of retrieving, in your mind--but the handler does nothing and the dog thinks better of it pretty quickly and gathers itself and stops short of the line beyond which you would have dropped a creeping dog?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Just curious: how would you judge the dog that breaks--clearly left with the intention of retrieving, in your mind--but the handler does nothing and the dog thinks better of it pretty quickly and gathers itself and stops short of the line beyond which you would have dropped a creeping dog?
    I don't know. I've never seen that happen.

I have seen dogs initially go after being sent, and then recall themselves.
    I'd call that a no-go, and blame it on uncertainty and/or confusion.

A dog that breaks, typically isn't suffering from uncertainty.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown