The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handling on Marks

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotlu View Post
    He was initially lined up right when I sent him, but then started to run left of the fall. I'm a hunter, so to me, if the dog wants to run a line a little to the left of the fall so he can wind it, I am okay with that. But, my point is, he clearly didn't know where it was because he continued to charge straight past it with his head held up in the air. He wasn't using his nose and he wasn't stopping to hunt. Based on what the dog has done in the past, if I wouldn't have stopped him myself, he would eventually pop and wait for a cast from me.
    Ok. You said he is running straight, but if he is starting out headed towards the mark but ends up 30 yards wide of it, he is not running straight, so I did not understand.

In the situation you have described, your dog may have gone way off line because of the wind. If this is the case, you need to teach dog to fight the wind.
    Renee P

This is what I have been doing for the past few weeks, and he is getting better about it. I know it is my fault for handling him on marks too often early on in training, because until I joined a retriever club I didn't realize you should never handle on marks unless you have to. I should add that when he can't find the bird on his own he will give up and come back to me, so at this point, would you just run the drill again?
    NO....again you are bailing the dog out...allowing the dog to come back on his own without the bird is unacceptable, do not let him leave the AOF, make him hunt up the bird
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

This is what I have been doing for the past few weeks, and he is getting better about it. I know it is my fault for handling him on marks too often early on in training, because until I joined a retriever club I didn't realize you should never handle on marks unless you have to. I should add that when he can't find the bird on his own he will give up and come back to me, so at this point, would you just run the drill again?
    You need to have a gunner out there to help keep him from coming back. It sounds like you are trying to get your dog to do stuff that is way over its head.

Can you get someone in the retriever club to help you? Watch the dogs running at the next meeting, seek out help from the members whose dogs are doing well.

Probably people are dying to help you.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    You need to have a gunner out there to help keep him from coming back. It sounds like you are trying to get your dog to do stuff that is way over its head.

Can you get someone in the retriever club to help you? Watch the dogs running at the next meeting, seek out help from the members whose dogs are doing well.

Probably people are dying to help you.

You dont want to involve the gunner in the process, unless you are the gunner/thrower....once you involve the gunner, the dog will shy away from the gunner

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Like Bon said, quit handling. Simplify, have the gunner "hup-hup", build momentum. The general rule is to recall-resend for really bad initial lines and handle to teach fighting factors, but in your case we want the dog to run to the bird and work it out

So simplify, keep your hands in your pocket, teach your gunner how to read your dog. Gunner help is a fine art, they need to know when to just step out, when to use arm motion, voice, throw another bird, subtly step toward or away from the fall, recognize a dog that is totally lost vs one that is intently hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    You dont want to involve the gunner in the process, unless you are the gunner/thrower....once you involve the gunner, the dog will shy away from the gunner
    What???

SOP is to have the gunner "hup-hup" just like John added.
    Renee P

Simplify. Perhaps ,on longer marks, after he is successful on shorter marks, salt the field in the area of the fall with 4 to 5 bumpers, spread out 5 feet apart, to keep him successful and not relying on help.Sometimes having the thrower throw one if he starts breaking down. Make sure looking toward the throw, no noise from thrower. Timing is critical though. Make sure you have walkie talkies and you tell when to do what.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

I gotta know. How old is this dog that you are running triples with and handling? Also, how often do you train? Is this a situation where you have wingers during the week and have gunners on training days? Do you only run multiples on the weekends? What is the deal? Something is not adding up here. All of the advice that will be given is going to be dependent on you having real people out in the field on a greater than biweekly basis. If you could answer some questions on how you have gone about teaching your dog to mark then people might be able to give you better feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    What???

SOP is to have the gunner "hup-hup" just like John added.
    Thats different from having the gunner get involved in stopping the dog from returning to the line...when I throw birds for a trainer I will specifically ask what they want me to do if/when a dog leaves the AOF, most if not all will tell me to do nothing, dont move dont make any motions...they may have me do the hup hup for young pups but thats all

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Thats different from having the gunner get involved in stopping the dog from returning to the line...when I throw birds for a trainer I will specifically ask what they want me to do if/when a dog leaves the AOF, most if not all will tell me to do nothing, dont move dont make any motions...they may have me do the hup hup for young pups but thats all
    I'm still confused.

I am suggesting that the OP have the gunner stop the dog from returning to the him by doing something like throw another bumper, or hup-hup it. Did you think I meant he should tackle the dog?
    Renee P