The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeder Question

Default Breeder Question

Is it wise to do a surgical A.I. on a bitch that has never been bred?

I bred a 5 yr old and a 6 yr old maiden by AI. The first was to Cosmo and had 11 pups and I just got home from the vet and saw at least 7 pups on the x-ray of my FC/AFC-Esprit Power Play breeding that is due on Sat 3/22.

My sister in law did an AI on her 4 yr old maiden bitch to Tiger McBunn and whelped 9 pups. My buddy bred his maiden to Blackwater Rudy and whelped 5 pups.

All were frozen.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 03-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Frozen or Chilled?

Chilled has better odds, I know a bunch of people who have had successful litters with maiden bitches with chilled. I know a few who have had successful litter with maiden bitches and frozen as well. Still it depends, on the semen, if the boy is still around and still producing it might not be that big of deal if you were to miss a cycle because a litter didn't take. If the sperm is the last vial of super stud not around anymore, you probably would want to show that your female can indeed produce. Still If your breeding a special female (who you don't breed alot)with a special male and doing the litter for your own benefit, you might just take the gamble
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I've done multiple breedings with chilled, surgical, maiden bitches. All a success. The reason I haven't done a surgical with frozen on a maiden bitch is I want to make sure she produces first. Some of the frozen semen I have is all that is left. I'm not willing to risk it even though technically a younger bitch is more fertile.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I have used frozen on a maiden bitch and had a nice size litter. All of my surgical AIs have resulted in good littters with fresh chilled and with frozen. The advantage with frozen is that you can have it on-hand regardless of when the breeding needs to take place. If you are doing fresh chilled and the breeding needs to happen on the weekend, you may be out of luck.

Meredith

Thanks for the info..the bitch I am going to breed is a FC AFC Esprit's Power Play daughter...I am breeding her to a NFC dog.

Hey David...Good Luck with you upcoming litter.

Regards JT

I've successfully bred a maiden twice with AI, one frozen, one fresh chilled. I've heard people say live cover is best, but it's not always possible. I don't think I'd fool with breeding a maiden via AI from a deceased top sire with only one or limited breedings available because of costs (typically you pay the stud fee whether or not the breeding takes, plus the AI costs); and many owners of those breedings want a proven producer in order to consider selling to you. It's a balancing act, since most females aren't highly titled when young and fertile and therefore don't have access to the really top breedings.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Thanks Jeffrey. We are very excited!!!
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Just did it with one of my girls who I think is 4. Had 7 with frozen that was collected a few years ago.

When I bred my maiden bitch first time = 2 puppies. Second time = 11 puppies.