The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Second hunt test

Default Second hunt test

For those of you who gave suggestions to my post First hunt test. I wanted to thank you all. So I thought I'd update you on my second try this last weekend. Understandably I was a little nervous about my senior dogs breaking problem on the honor, with only one week to try to fix that problem. Since he was already entered on both Saturday and Sunday we went. During the week prior I worked on honor with both my dogs a 19 month old pup and my senior. Sat them both at my side and tossed some juicy birds for them. Only allowed the pup to retrieve. Took some corrections here and there but hoped the senior had gotten the point of the lessons. He passed both seniors this weekend and the pup got junior pass on Saturday. A lot more work to do on the honor but was happy with the outcome. I might add I have a long way to go as a handler being a newby to the sport. It was all dog this weekend. I got very nervous when my shot flyer ( land ) turned and was shot falling directly behind the gunners in the edge of the pond below the station. Thankfully my boy dug it out and made the retrieve. No way he could have marked the fall.

Congratulations! You would be surprised what your dog could see. I have sworn my dog didn't see the fall more than once and she ran right to it and picked it up. They are amazing animals for sure.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

congrats on your success!! A piece of advice though. When I was just getting started I would get so nervous I was a WRECK...LOL. After I had open heart surgery I came to believe that passing a HT was not a life or death situation. I went to the line with the attitude my dog is going to do one of two things.....pass or fail. My dog had fun regardless of which one they did. I relaxed and my success rate went up a bunch because my dogs were feeding off my attitude... HAVE FUN !!!!
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Yes it was at Marin and I am a little nervous, Hoping as I get a little better at handling that will get cured. I'm sure the dogs pick up on it also. I'm running senior at Lassen also in a couple of weeks. I may enter my junior there also. I got a pass on him Saturday and Sunday he made it to the water but we got dropped as he hunted short on the flyer. I have some work to do with him on his marking.

That is fabulous!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)