The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baffled

Default Baffled

Ok guys. Bear with me. I am new to this. I have an 8 month old female lab. She has been a little slower than other pups that I have worked with. Her obeideience is solid. She knows what fetch is . She has been retrieving like a champ. Her desire for retrieving has been solid. Two weeks ago she was retrieving like a champ. All of the sudden after about 10 solid and near perfect retreives. She tucks her tail. Hides behind my legs and refuses. I have managed on different days to get good retreives from her. But after a few the same happens. I have not used a collar on her. Nor have I had to use anything other than harsh words to get obeince. Her personality seems to be more timid than what I've seen out of other labs.and wonder how I can get her through this or if I should break down and begin her on forced retreiver training. I am an amateur and only want a solid hunting dog.

Maybe she is coming in season.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

It's possible. Her behavior has shown that.

If she gives you 10 perfect retrieves try quitting at 6 or 7

The number that she retreives and "locks up" has gradually declined to that. Today I got 3 and a fun bumper from her before she locked up on me. I'm trying to encourage her by as much positive encouragement as possible. At the begining,she is happy and ready to go. After a few retreives she quits. I have help train several labs and a couple of my own. And I have never seen this from any lab .

does she have her adult teeth or is she teething?

Meredith

Is the dog behaving normally otherwise? Have you tried just a free walk in large fields with dog running loose? Perhaps try some fun bumpers incorporated into the walk and see how dog reacts. I'd try and observe dog under few other conditions to see how she reacts. Perhaps a free walk with other dog and fun bumpers mixed in for each dog to get a little competition going without going overboard. You say she's a little slower than other dogs so I'd try and figure out what's up a bit more before force as retrieving should be almost automatic or basic. Could be she's coming into season like Jeannie said so I'd be patient.

She's probably coming into season. I had a bitch that worked even harder when she was in season no problems. But her daughter acts like she never heard a gun before when she's in season. She will still retrieve; but no loud noises for 3 weeks while her mind is on other things. They're all different. Good luck!

First off, I wish to thanks each of you for your replies. All are great. Madluke. I told myself a couple of days ago that I'd give her a month before I began forcing. Her adult teeth are in. So forcing can be an option. Whether it will cure is what I would like to know. If coming into season is the issue,then time will heal the problem. At the goose pit that I hunt at. I have seen many hunters get frustrated and punish their labs for reasons that only applies to the trainer. It sickens me at times.i wish to be patient and work my pup through this. So not to be one of those guys. My pup is also a member of my family and is in our home as well. I'm sure that my descriptions sound vague and more info may be needed. So any question of how or why I do things are welcome. I Thank you all .

on the first time, the 10 retrieve then tuck tail. can you think of anything at all that could have hurt her? you do not list your part of the world so bee sting (-8 here in VT.) or thorn or bone sticking out of her bird or anything?
    Then on the other days by chance are you using the same bird boy who was throwing for you on that first day?
    I have seen bird boy fear mess with timid bitches.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin