The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moths in Food

Default Moths in Food

For the past couple years, I've been having moths show up in my dog food. Sometimes I empty the bag and the moths are already there, other times they hatch after a week or so. Lately it's been getting worse and worse. This time was the worst yet: I've got moths flying all over my (small) house even after I got rid of the food and moved the food storage bin outside. I've been feeding my dog Purina Pro Plan since I brought her home from Tealbrook nearly 11 years ago because that's what they recommended at the time.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to stop it? I would be open to trying a new food provided it's (1) purchasable at a Petco type store, (2) similar in quality (or better), and (3) comparable in price.

Never! Return the bag! Contact Purina?? or if you have what do they say. Where do you buy the bags? Were they outdated? Are they storing it in a safe dry place. To me best food around! I have been using it for many years.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Bags bought at at least 2 different stores (and in different cities) had moth problems. This weekend, I dumped out all the infected food, cleaned the storage bin with chlorox and water, scubbed the outside of it to make sure all eggs were off, and then rinsed the whole thing off with water and let it dry. I filled it with the fresh bag of food (so far moth free) and put it in the outside laundry room (usually kept inside) that has a flying bug killer in it. We'll see what happens...

Truthfully, I thought this could be happening on my end even though the food is stored inside and I don't otherwise have bug problems, but the guy at the pet store yesterday said he had heard of it happening before with Pro Plan.

Possibly it is your house that is infested, then when you bring home the food the bugs move into it.

Check your flour, your cereal, your rice, see if there aren't bugs in that stuff.

Look up "pantry moth."
    Last edited by mitty; 03-17-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Renee P

They are pantry moths and I put some of the triangle style pantry moth traps near the food, which are reasonable effective. All food is clean, they just want the dog food.

So far, they've shown up at 3 different houses I have lived in, always in the dog food only.

I would have to see a photo of the moth but I can with almost certainty say that the moth you're seeing is an "Indian Meal Moth". It's that time of the year that these little critters start hatching, they thrive on cereal and flour products. As Mitty stated in an earlier post take a close look in your own pantry especially at the flour and cereal products. The little critters start out as larva, form a a case and hatch into the little moths that you are probably seeing. You'll also notice a webbing of sort on any product that they've infested.

If you can confirm the origin of the pest to the PPP, you should contact purina directly. Vendors are expected to adhere to strict pest control guidelines to avoid such infestations.

Good luck.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I have had good luck with the Vittles Vault (knock on wood) for storing the dog food. Might try one and see if it keeps the moths out.

I got them at Petco.
    Renee P

A Team,

You're right - I did see webbing. If they show up in this batch of food I will take a picture and ask Purina where they would like me to send it.

I just finished double checking my pantry and knock on wood, everything else is fine.

I agree with A Team. Indian meal moths are a common pest. Freeze the bag for several days. Check all grain products. Even fish food can have it. My dog food goes into sealed plastic containers and if I see web. I freeze it and use it first. Look through your pantry and even the dog treats to look for the larvae or webs.Bird seed and deer corn are also places to look. I use the stuff if the the infestation is not severe.

Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by DrDuck View Post
    I agree with A Team. Indian meal moths are a common pest. Freeze the bag for several days. Check all grain products. Even fish food can have it. My dog food goes into sealed plastic containers and if I see web. I freeze it and use it first. Look through your pantry and even the dog treats to look for the larvae or webs.Bird seed and deer corn are also places to look. I use the stuff if the the infestation is not severe.

Spencer
    Probably up north less trouble? I place my bags out in a alcove that is very cold especially in the winter. Maybe moths don't like the temp so low!Never have seen them before? But should you use the food if they have infested the bag?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray