The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How to stop "creeping" at the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    I don't believe so but explain if you want to.
    I actually had a longer more thoughtful response composed but got logged off and lost it...so I settled for the short answer. I'm tired and don't want to rewrite but here's me, Daffy Duck, do you think my dog is gonna easily figure out what she is supposed to do?

Hopefully a pictures worth a thousand words...
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I actually had a longer more thoughtful response composed but got logged off and lost it...so I settled for the short answer. I'm tired and don't want to rewrite but here's me, Daffy Duck, do you think my dog is gonna easily figure out what she is supposed to do?

So awesome, Renee!!!!!! That's exactly what most of us newbs look like!

I do wonder about the complexity of files in your brain... You must have one hell of a memory to pull that one out of your memory!

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    If you have an iPad or iPad mini, hand it to a training buddy to take videos of you and your dog from the holding blinds to the line and through the whole test. It is very helpful to watch yourself. Sometimes you are even able to praise your work, but you usually see something that can be improved on. As a bonus, I was doing the rounds with my therapy dog and had my Ipad in had, so was able to show patients what their work is like. Most people are very impressed.
    And just think! you can post them here and get all manner of critiques!
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post

Very good Renee!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    It's very difficult to truly appreciate a lot of what folks tell you about dog training until you have experienced a few things and have seen the problems that you unwittingly allowed manifest themselves. I have spent the last year (since we ran a few tests) saying "So THAT'S what they were really trying to tell me." You can intellectually understand that they are different at a test than they are in the yard, but you don't really have any idea until your 110 yard dog comes out of the box at a test more like a high-tension transmission line. In that state of mind, that "slight movement" that you allowed in the yard becomes a creep or a break.
    This is true. I also believe it is a really good idea to link up with a mentor, experienced amateur or pro to assist, if you are having issues rather than digging the big hole. Even if it is your first dog or not. Lots of time to train your dog and in doing it have fun!!! IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I'm trying Richard. My daddy told me it's one thing to be ignorant about something when you start it. It's another thing entirely to remain that way.

I am sure I am not the only one who has ever felt this way, but I really feel bad for my dog. He has a lot more ability than his handler had the ability to correctly harness.
    I think Jimmy is a very nice dog!! He has taught you a lot. I am really looking forward to seeing what you can do with your next dog!
    Mark Land