The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy food reccomendations

Default Puppy food reccomendations

I have a 12 week old Chesapeake Bay and I was wondering what is a good dog food to start feeding him. I realize that there are numerous brands and opinions, but I wanted to ask anyways. I have started out feeding him Purina Puppy Chow but have recently switched him to Simply Nourish Chicken and Brown Rice recipe. I has been a little skeptical about the new food so I wanted to get other peoples opinions on what type of food they used. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Craig

I think most people feed Purina Pro Plan or the Eukanuba Pro type one, and are running their dogs in tests etc here on this site. I also have a chessy, but he's not running hunt tests , and while he's active, he's not so athletic tat he needs that high protein ratio. We feed the Costco Kirkland brand food, which is a well rated food, and cost effective, for regular dogs.

A twelve week old should be on a large breed puppy food. I feed Eukanuba Large Breed puppy and am very happy with the results. Good coat, solid stools... what more in life could you want?
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

What was his breeder feeding him? If he's been through 2 food changes in 4 weeks you probably ought to stick with what you've got for awhile. Too much change in the diet can be worse for a puppy than the food you're trying to replace, LOL. Do a little research online and learn how to read the dog food labels. I agree with ChessieMom, most posters here are hunt test and field trial competitors, and it seems like most feed Purina Pro Plan Performance or Eukanuba Premium Performance, although there are several other quality foods that pop up regularly. Be aware that Purina Puppy Chow is NOT the same thing as Purina Pro Plan Puppy or Large Breed Puppy. Very few of the foods available in the grocery store or Target are considered quality foods for competitive dogs. You don't have to feed the most expensive food you can find, but the bargain foods at the grocery stores are nearly all very low-end foods.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, Awesome. JMO
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, Awesome. JMO
    Is that why your puppies seem to turn out so well? I should go back and put my young critters on this food

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Is that why your puppies seem to turn out so well? I should go back and put my young critters on this food
    Penn, it definitely is not due to my training! The stuff ain't cheap, $54 bucks for 26 lb. bag but they love it and have solid stools and great coat.
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Buck

I like Blue Buffalo also.

Fromm Large breed puppy!

New to forum here. My lab is 8 weeks old. The breeder had been feeding him pro plan 30/20 so that is what I have been continuing to feed him. The Pet store woman was referring me to Blue Buffalo Wilderness for large breed puppies. She was explaining benefits of no grains. A few people that have dogs had told me about call backs awhile ago on this BBuffalo food. I would assume that it is safe now? Is it worth the switch?