The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I too old?

Default Am I too old?

I lost my 12 yr old 'pup' Maggie to cancer yesterday. I held her in my arms as the vet injected the solution. Wasn't going to let her suffer. People say the pain gets easier, but it surely hasn't yet. I haven't stopped crying yet. She was the best of the three dogs I've lost. She wasn't titled, but was the best dove, fishing and walking dog ever. I never 'worked' training her one day--every day was fun. We did something every day.

My question is: I'm 67 years old and may get another pup in a year or so (not now at all--it's like the old saying about a widower remarrying if they've been in a good marriage.). However, I'll be at least 78 when it's 10. My wife 'tolerates' dogs and would care for it if something happened to me, but what about if something happened to both of us? Do any 'seniors' here have young pups, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glover View Post
    I lost my 12 yr old 'pup' Maggie to cancer yesterday. I held her in my arms as the vet injected the solution. Wasn't going to let her suffer. People say the pain gets easier, but it surely hasn't yet. I haven't stopped crying yet. She was the best of the three dogs I've lost. She wasn't titled, but was the best dove, fishing and walking dog ever. I never 'worked' training her one day--every day was fun. We did something every day.

My question is: I'm 67 years old and may get another pup in a year or so (not now at all--it's like the old saying about a widower remarrying if they've been in a good marriage.). However, I'll be at least 78 when it's 10. My wife 'tolerates' dogs and would care for it if something happened to me, but what about if something happened to both of us? Do any 'seniors' here have young pups, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Sorry for your loss, I know it is very hard.
    Adopt an adult dog. They need a good loving home too.

JT

I'm sorry for your loss. It's too bad that our pets don't live as long as we do. As difficult as it is to deal with the loss of those special dogs, I could never be without one. The joy they bring far out weighs the hurtful loss. There will always be one with me. I don't know when my time will end, but it won't be without my best friend at my side.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Until now, I have always been a multiple dog person.
    But at 71 with some major health concerns I'm just not sure....

I will be following this thread with interest.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I'm terribly sorry for your loss! My grandfather felt the same way about a dog outliving him a while back, and now 14 years later he still wishes he had a dog. With that said, do you have any family that would be willing to care for the dog in the unfortunate circumstance that the dog needed to be taken care of? It's a good idea to make arrangements for your pet regardless of how old you are. How about adopting a middle age lab that needs a good home? Just a thought....

I'm so sorry Bob....it never gets easy. I have training friends in their mid to late sixties getting new pups. One thing that a lot don't do is plan for their dogs after their death. Our info is spelled out in our will. Who will care for them, criteria for placement if needed and money is set aside. We are just about to update that. There are one or two books that lay this out nicely. Written especially for pets.

Another option is to get a youngster. Something a year old or two. Through the tough puppy stage but you can get right into training and enjoying them.

We can all die any day, regardless of age. Live your life and enjoy it!

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Bob, I am very sorry for your loss and I know how you feel. I lost my 14 year old golden last September.

I am 66 and getting a new puppy towards the last of May. I did not let my age deter my decision. I feel that if you do young things at an older age, you will not let your age be a handicap.
    My goden was bought from a newspaper ad. She bcame very birdy at two. We joined a hunter retriever club and started bird hunting again. Getting my dog was close to the top of one of the best things that ever happened to me. Through her I made many new friends at the hunt test games. Neither she or I were very talented and only made it through the Junior and Seasoned levels. However she became the second best gun dog I have ever hunted around.

Get another puppy. They mean so much to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glover View Post

Thanks
    Ok, sorry for your loss and we outlive them all, condolences, have lost many over the years.

I will be 71 years old this year. I have a two year old (was about 69 when I got her) I have a six year old, I co-own one that is 15 months old. We train almost daily, weather permitting (snow) this year. My training partners age from 26 to about 80 plus years old. One of my training partners will be 77 in September and he just started a new pup....What is the next question?
    Earl Dillow

Reading this thread....is making my allergies act up...need to stop

sorry for your loss