The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I too old?

Bob,
    Sorry for your loss, been their, far to often! I have learned to look at my new dogs not as a replacement but as a new companion, that will be unique and different that all others....

I am 64 going on 65...We got our newest pup in January of 2013....now that I am retried I finally really have time to spend with the dog....I have two sons that would take care of her, if my wife and I are gone....

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glover View Post
    My question is: I'm 67 years old and may get another pup in a year or so (not now at all--it's like the old saying about a widower remarrying if they've been in a good marriage.). However, I'll be at least 78 when it's 10. My wife 'tolerates' dogs and would care for it if something happened to me, but what about if something happened to both of us? Do any 'seniors' here have young pups, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Recently 68 with 2 littermate six year old field trial dogs and a 6 month and 9 month old puppy and still working part time, crazy, eh? And as a lifelong dog owner and veterinarian do not wait very long to get a puppy, they are great therapy!

I have watched many good dogs go and have always said that one day Im gonna get even. Some day one of them is going to watch me go. I just cant imagine life without a dog or two or four.

One of my training partners is 81 and the other is 76 They both have dogs from the same breeding. The 81 year old go his because he like the other guy's so much. These dogs keep these two going even through cancer treatment. The 76 yr old had to retry his drivers test today and was really worried he wouldn't pass. Good news he did and the dog training goes on. I am 63 and picking up my new pup tomorrow. My sister is 71 and she is feeling bad she didn't get one.
    The pain of losing a great buddy is hard to bear but a new puppy with its own wonderful personality sure can fill the hole. One is never too old for a dog.

Sorry for your loss. We have 3 labs that are under 3 yrs old . My wife & I are in our 70's & when our last FTCH died we weren't going to get another dog.. That didn't last too long. Dogs are like people, they are all different & you are creating new memories with the new pup. I am a duck hunter 1st & derive great joy out of taking my dog on hunts with my sons & grandson. Having a dog keeps you from thinking about yourself all the time. My training partners are also in their 70's They are running Field Trial Derby & Amateur this weekend.........
    Keeps you young! I had much rather talk about pups & training than bypass surgery, hip & knee replacements etc.. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glover View Post
    I lost my 12 yr old 'pup' Maggie to cancer yesterday. I held her in my arms as the vet injected the solution. Wasn't going to let her suffer. People say the pain gets easier, but it surely hasn't yet. I haven't stopped crying yet. She was the best of the three dogs I've lost. She wasn't titled, but was the best dove, fishing and walking dog ever. I never 'worked' training her one day--every day was fun. We did something every day.

My question is: I'm 67 years old and may get another pup in a year or so (not now at all--it's like the old saying about a widower remarrying if they've been in a good marriage.). However, I'll be at least 78 when it's 10. My wife 'tolerates' dogs and would care for it if something happened to me, but what about if something happened to both of us? Do any 'seniors' here have young pups, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Mr. Glover,
    Our sympathies for your loss.
    Sounds as thought the two of you had a wonderful relationship.

Maggie always wanted you to be happy, that will never change, follow your heart!

stan b

Hell go get a puppy your never too old. Or maybe a started dog
    I have a neighbor that lost his dog of 11 years and wanted a puppy
    He hemmed and hawed and still don't have a pup he looks lost over
    There not having a bud to walk with or follow him around in fact I'm going to talk to him today About a pup
    Yeah what Ed said

You never to old for a puppy
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Garduck View Post
    What a great video, really have to thank Fred for posting this.

Do not intend to hijack this thread but Mr. Powers is a true inspiration. I have the pleasure of training with this man a couple of times a week.

And thank you to Garduck for brining this video to this thread, I believe it is a true answer to OP original question.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Sorry for your loss of your buddy. Now get yourself another pup. I had open heart surgery at 63 and decided to get rid of my dogs. My dear wife said "NO you are not". Well now I am 71 have dogs ranging from 12yo to 12 weeks old. Everyday I have to get up off my butt and take care of them which according to my Doctor must be good as I am doing very well health wise. Oh did I mention I am having the time of my life as I am a whole lot more patient with my dogs and that helps my blood pressure....LOL.. and general well being.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com