The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mound City, Missouri; Snow Hunt

Default Mound City, Missouri; Snow Hunt

Went up to Mound City, Missouri a few weeks ago. Insane how many snows were up there. Had decent hunts all 3 days. Lot harder than they make it look on TV. Had a few huge flocks tornado in. Really amazing to see. Here's a link to one of the big flocks that came in. Ignore the terrible shooting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA144r9DrHo

Nice video. I've known Shane since he was in HS.
    What was your daily total? Did you switch fields?
    We're going to SD and hunting Sat. through Tuesday or Wednesday on a freelance hunt.

Thats a big wad.. I HATE THOSE!!! just circle and circle... Sucks having no wind too! That makes for hard hunting!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

We averaged a little better than 30 birds per day. We hunted with his cousin Bruce. Great guy. We hunted up in the hills for the first two days and then went to the bottoms on the third day. We had 26 on the third day but we left early since we drove back to Louisiana. Probably could have had 40 or more if we stayed.

Squaw Creek refuge said they had over 2 million when we were there. This was back March 8 - 10.

Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Thats a big wad.. I HATE THOSE!!! just circle and circle... Sucks having no wind too! That makes for hard hunting!
    Yea we think we missed really good hunts by just a little each day. Either the wind was right but the sun wasn't out, or the sun was out but the wind wasn't right etc. The second day in the afternoon the winds got up over 20 mph sustained. Had a lot of birds get to about 70 yards and just keep circling! Drove us crazy trying to save the tundra!

My buddy Steve Kelley took us up to Mound City when the snows just show up. Kill a few, but seen so great sights. I aways said a person needs to see a big group like that once in their life time, even if you don't fire a shot.
    When we were there, their was 4 inches of water and mud in the fields. I didn't know fields could be that flat that you couldn't find a dry spot in a 1000 acre field.
    I heard that goose call in my sleep, did you?
    Great video

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    I heard that goose call in my sleep, did you?
    Great video
    You hear that thing for a couple days thats for sure!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

Just got back from there myself, averaged 15 birds a day for 3 days. Def a lot harder than I expected or they make it out to be. 15-20 bird days are average days there, not the 80+ like they make it out to be. Either way it was fun and got some more dog work in!
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

The e caller is still playing in my mind! I think we could have shot a little better too. The guide told us they had an 84 bird day like a week ago. 70 in an hour! Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post
    The guide told us they had an 84 bird day like a week ago. 70 in an hour! Unreal

The guide always says they killed a big group the week before! Or the old you should have been here yesterday!
    John Stephens RNT