• Dr. Tim's, I'll switch back to my other food when the dog comes home

1 1.92%
  • I'll supply my preferred other brand of dog food when I bring the dog

10 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Question: For those who send their dogs to trainers

Default Dog Food Question: For those who send their dogs to trainers

I'm currently feeding Pro Plan Performance 30/20, and the dogs do very well on it. Because I've heard so many good things about Dr. Tim's, I have purchased some to try on a few of my personal dogs. At this point, I don't know for sure which direction I will eventually go, since I need to give it a couple of months on Dr. Tim's to evaluate and compare.

My question is this: When you send your dog off for training and it comes home again, would you prefer it to be on a feed that is easily available everywhere vs. one that needs to be ordered online and shipped to you, once your dog comes back home? Or will you simply switch back to whatever you were feeding before the dog went off for training?

My main concern, if I do switch all the dogs over to Dr. Tim's, is the lack of local availability of the dog food for client dogs when they leave here to go back home. PPP is available everywhere. A lot of the dogs that come here are already on PPP, and most that leave here stay on it, even if they weren't when they arrived.

I guess I'm trying to decide whether or not to offer Dr. Tim's as an option for the training dogs, or stick to ProPlan for all the client dogs (all depending, of course, on how the trial period goes). I'm just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

For me i prefer to keep them on what I'm feeding, which is PPP. I recently had to "rehome" my young dog and that was one of the questions I asked the various Pros - what do ya feed? And a couple were feeding something different. I did ask about their willingness to feed PPP - most had no issue with it. I personally would prefer to have my dogs on a brand I can easily get when they are home.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

It is kind of backward from what you asked (I think).

We have Dr. Tims sent to our pro to feed our critters from the same folks who ship it to us to feed the home dogs.

I have been very fortunate to work with two pro trainers with two different dogs. The pros have kindly permitted me to drop ship dry dog food to them while training in the North and South. It is very easy to do as I use a couple of web pet food distributors. Shipping is always free. The one thing I have never done was to try and have my monthly bill reduced as my dog is not eating the pro's dog food (which is inclusive in the monthly bill). I am currently feeding Dr. Tim's, however I do like switching foods a few times a year - Fromm, Evo, Acana, and Nature's Variety.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

I think, if you had my dog and were feeding Dr. Tim's, I would switch to it when pup came home and have it shipped to me. Assuming he did fine on it, of course.

Having said that, I had my pup on Euk LBP prior to sending him to the trainers. I sent the remainder of the bag so he could gradually switch him to what he feeds...Victor. When I get him back, I'm going to continue him on Victor bc he looks great and Euk has become difficult to find in my area. Victor isn't real close but I'll make the effort to find and feed. If Dr. Tim's was my trainers food of choice I'd do the same.

My thinking...I trust this trainer. In doing so, I trust what he feeds his personal dogs plus the others in his kennel is something he believes in. If food X is good enough for him then it's good enough for me.

Trick poll....I send her with ProPlan because I prefer it, not because it is easy to get....misleading polls are set up that way, to mislead folks on the results...

Not intended to mislead or trick. A lot of people that *prefer* ProPlan aren't interested in having a different food shipped to them, and you can buy PPP pretty much anywhere you happen to be. Ol' Roy is pretty easy to find, too....but I'm not interested in that just because it's easy to find.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

When I sent my dog to the pro I sent Euk with her. The pro was feeding something else at the time but was impressed with the Euk and switched all the dogs over to it.

I think it is time to toss something out - Pros know tons about training and very little about canine nutrition.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    I think it is time to toss something out - Pros know tons about training and very little about canine nutrition.
    I'd have to say it depends on the Pro....anyone can hang up a shingle.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot