16 30.77%
  • Dr. Tim's, I'll switch back to my other food when the dog comes home

1 1.92%
  • I'll supply my preferred other brand of dog food when I bring the dog

10 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Question: For those who send their dogs to trainers

You are correct, Sharon. Many dietary holes. That said more and more dog owners are beginning to realize the health benefits associated by feeding a RAW type of diet. For instance, I know of a owner of two retrievers who feed a weekly diet of bones, raw beef, chicken, turkey with an assortment of veggies. Interesting to watch dogs gobble up turkey necks, chicken feet, beef tripe, etc - all outstanding sources of nutrients. And, believe it or not, the food bill is less than mine on kibble. I am also hearing from many dog owners who are fasting their dogs one day a week. In addition, and maybe this should be saved for a second topic, many dog owners these days are finally realizing that pounding your dogs with vaccinations can be detrimental to the overall well being of the dog.
    That is still sub standard.
    All pro trainers know that the entrails contain the proper nutrition for total canine development and hair makes good roughage along with whatever is in the intestines,,, not meat and bones and vegies..
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I usually try to keep her on what she is fed when she is with the trainer.....red Paw. I just pick up a couple of bags from him when I pick her up, and try to get some from him when we see each other at tests or what ever. She also does well on PPP, and did fine on Native. I think she does BEST on RED PAW but does well on about any quality food I have tried.

I do find it funny to listen to dog people get all worked up about raw diets, debating it fiercely while drinking a diet pop or beer..... I do let the dogs have some raw scraps and bones and lord knows they get enough veggies from the table..... But kibble is the staple... Moderation
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    You are correct, Sharon. Many dietary holes. That said more and more dog owners are beginning to realize the health benefits associated by feeding a RAW type of diet. For instance, I know of a owner of two retrievers who feed a weekly diet of bones, raw beef, chicken, turkey with an assortment of veggies. Interesting to watch dogs gobble up turkey necks, chicken feet, beef tripe, etc - all outstanding sources of nutrients. And, believe it or not, the food bill is less than mine on kibble. I am also hearing from many dog owners who are fasting their dogs one day a week. In addition, and maybe this should be saved for a second topic, many dog owners these days are finally realizing that pounding your dogs with vaccinations can be detrimental to the overall well being of the dog.
    Wow, 2 retrievers? I guess we should all jump on the bandwagon based on that hard evidence.

Somebody somewhere is probably juicing for their dogs too since that's all the rage these days.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    Wow, 2 retrievers? I guess we should all jump on the bandwagon based on that hard evidence.

Somebody somewhere is probably juicing for their dogs too since that's all the rage these days.
    Used that person as an example. I could go on but I won't waste my time. Good luck with your Senior Hunter....
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

wow THAT was nice....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    wow THAT was nice....
    Yep.....that "mine's bigger than yours" mentality.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post

I know someone with way more that supplements kibble with all this stuff. She would probably be all RAW except that it is a lot of work for a dozen dogs. It is funny how they love certain things like asparagus bottoms. I don't think RAW is far out at all--kibble is just about convenience.

And the pulp from your juicer would be great ingredients for a RAW diet

Actually Sharon it was in response to an ignorant post. So I responded likewise. Thankfully I didn't go M.F. with a response or I'd still be typing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Yep.....that "mine's bigger than yours" mentality.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Just an observation!!!!! Not an opinion, (God forbid). A friend of mine has a house on the mountain here in Taos. She feeds all kinds of birds and wildlife that roam her property, including coyotes. (I know, I know!). She would toss out meat scraps, vegetables, bread etc on the ground for the carnivores, and fill up feeders with wild bird seed. The coyotes would leave all that laying there and wait for the squirrels to knock the bird seed out of the feeders, then gobble that up first. Every single time. Only when the seed was gone did they eat the other things. She and I looked at the bird seed package and were amazed at the fats and oils it contained. Clearly, for the wild canines living in a harsh environment, those ingredients were preferable to meat and vegetables. Having said all that, I don't think I am going to take away my dogs' Euk PP and start feeding them bird seed!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Animal Science Masters Degree with emphasis on Animal Nutrition here... and I feed Pro-Plan Perf. I have played with Raw/BARF diets.. and while the poop produced was curious... I was NOT impressed with the overall health and well being...the coats were bad, and didnt look good..And because we own a ranch.. we have 4 freezers going at any given time, stocked with home raised red meat... so it wasnt that it was expensive or inconvienient...

While I do agree that historically, dogs, didnt eat kibble.. they also did not perform tasks that we are asking, nor were they bred in the controlled manner we have now. They have eveolved and changed to where they have different needs and limitations. Heck.. if we think we should feed our dogs as they would have been historically... we would feed them a big meal every few days... not daily feedings...

My labs have very little in common with their wild ancestors.. and their diet reflects that.

Find a dog food you love, that your dogs do well on.. and feed it. There is no silver bullet in this area, not one food that fits everyones needs.

Heck... On the grain free deal... do you know HOW HARD it is to keep my dogs out of the grain in the barn.. they love the Corn/Oats/Barley with molasses blend we feed livestock... so dont tell me dogs dont like grain! LOL... Although they seem to like it EVEN MORE after it has gone thru an animal, and is in horse poop!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"