The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is EE fair to handlers?

Is EE fair to handlers?
    Yes EE's randomized running order list is often not up to snuff, but doesn't the ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the trial remains with the FT committee ?
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Is EE fair to handlers?
    Yes EE's randomized running order list is often not up to snuff, but doesn't the ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the trial remain with the FT committee ?
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

If EE randomly put me at dog #1 in every AA stake I entered it would not even phase me. Its not about the EE draw in AA stakes, its all about the Dow. So you should do your complaining to them if you run to close to first every week. I think the dow is some what random. Regards.
    " If you dont get butterflies coming to the line you would probably be doing something different."

FT committees definitely do have the final say, I would agree. I have to think back to years ago when we lived in CA and use to run a field trial twice a year in southeastern Oregon. The field trial club was basically composed of a father, mother and son. We often would get the same number in the Q spring and fall! Once you got a number, it kind of stuck with you!

I've noticed EE isn't "real random." If EE gives you a low number and the Dow is low for several trials in a row, it's tough.
    I've gotten close numbers in the Open and the Am when both stakes started on Friday.
    So far this year my numbers were 1,24,33,39,29. From small trials to big.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Running early is much more magnified when hen pheasants are used. Ducks are much easier on earlier dogs. Yes, running early can even be an advantage with ducks, especially if it's a test where flier feathers will end up wafting over the path to key long birds, dragback will be a problem, wind picks up later in the day, etc.

I don't remember too many trials where running early with pheasants is anything but a disadvantage.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by DenverB2B View Post
    If EE randomly put me at dog #1 in every AA stake I entered it would not even phase me. Its not about the EE draw in AA stakes, its all about the Dow. So you should do your complaining to them if you run to close to first every week. I think the dow is some what random. Regards.
    I'll agree but if the dogs grouped around you are always the same and they're a bunch of crazy whinning creeping breaking out of control mutts would you feel different?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    Running early is much more magnified when hen pheasants are used.
    I don't remember too many trials where running early with pheasants is anything but a disadvantage.
    Quit worrying about hen pheasants and train on 'em. And don't forget some dog's noses are just superior to others. Hen pheasants have a way of helping judges more clearly see that natural ability in dogs so blessed demonstrated.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Dow? Please

Dow? Please
    From EE website:

The order of running in any one or more stakes at a trial shall be in the order of the draw beginning with the dog with the number given at the draw which corresponds with the last two digits (including digits, if any, to the right of the decimal point) of the closing Dow Jones Industrial Average (the "DJIA Number") on the Tuesday immediately preceding the trial or, if the New York Stock Exchange is not open for business on such Tuesday, then on the most recent day prior to such Tuesday when the New York Stock Exchange is open for business, and continuing thereafter in numerical sequence. If the DJIA Number is 00, the dog given number one at the draw shall be the first running dog. If the DJIA Number is greater than the number of dogs entered in a stake, the number equal to the number of dogs entered in such stake shall be subtracted from the DJIA Number and such stake shall begin with the dog with the number given at the draw which corresponds with the number resulting from such subtraction (the "Second DJIA Number") and continue thereafter in numerical sequence. If the Second DJIA Number is greater than the number of dogs entered in such stake, such subtraction process shall be repeated as many times as necessary (subtracting from the Second DJIA Number and each subsequent resulting number, if any, the number of dogs entered in such stake) until the number resulting from such subtraction corresponds with a number given at the draw to a dog entered in such stake and such shall begin with such dog and continue thereafter in numerical sequence. Notice of such election shall be included in the premium list sent to prospective contestants by the club.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home