The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is EE fair to handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Yes EE's randomized running order list is often not up to snuff, but doesn't the ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the trial remain with the FT committee ?
    After EE has done its random draw, the F.T. Secretary has an opportunity to tweak it. The F.T. Committee is not involved with tweaking the draw as they do not have access to do so. I would imagine that there are F.T. Secretaries out there who do not bother to tweak the draw. I do. I tweak the Open because of dogs handled by pros. I try to space at least 2 dogs in between so there is no hold-up and all the blinds are full. It's a time management issue that can be solved by spacing the dogs handled by pros.

The DOW at close of the stock market on Tuesday determines the starting number for the all age stakes. If your dog is in the first 10, you can blame the DOW. Minor stakes are not determined by the DOW.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I think that is a bit overstated, the disadvantage of running early on land marks usually is a result of less than optimum scenting, light conditions, and relative lack of wind but it is not always a disadvantage. I would prefer to not run in the first 10 but have had my share of success doing so.
    When we set up a HT, I usually throw a bird then drag a 3-4 foot circle from where it landed at each but the flyer station to try to level things out a bit. Is this common in a FT ?
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

Default Yes unfair

I don't think EE is all that random in their seeding. Pros often have their dogs in the same order. Last year, I had the luck of being number one in both the Open and Amateur, due to the secretary not seeing the close numbers in similar sized stakes and tweeking it.

When this happened in my case, it was discussed that there should be a rule in AKC that a dog cannot run first in both Open and Amateur the same weekend.
    Last edited by Sharon van der Lee; 03-28-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon van der Lee View Post
    I believe the EE system is too regular in its seeding. We tend to see the same dogs seeded in order, especially in the minor stakes. Our pro talks about always having his dogs in the same order in the Open. Last year, I had the luck of being number one in both the Open and Amateur, due to the secretary not seeing the close numbers in similar sized stakes and tweeking it.
    Actually..no.

"No changes in the running order of the dogs as drawn should be made, except as required to separate dogs handled by the same person
    , which have been drawn too close together to permit the efficient, timely running of the stake."
    " The objective of any change made in the original running order is the efficient running order of the stake, not the convenience or desire of the handler."

Standing Reccomendations Of The Retriever Advisory committee, page 37, section C
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Actually..no.

"No changes in the running order of the dogs as drawn should be made, except as required to separate dogs handled by the same person
    , which have been drawn too close together to permit the efficient, timely running of the stake."
    " The objective of any change made in the original running order is the efficient running order of the stake, not the convenience or desire of the handler."

Standing Reccomendations Of The Retriever Advisory committee, page 37, section C
    Then I was misinformed. I was told that numbers are something that a secretary looks at when this situation arose. EE usually does a good job of splitting dogs with the same handler. Running number one in both stakes the same weekend was a bit more than just inconvenient, it was quite a bit of bad luck due to similar numbers in both stakes with similar sized entries.