The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy training video

Quote Originally Posted by GundogsOnline View Post
    A quick note on timing. The "marker" - in your case the "Good" command for the desired behavior should be immediately after the dog's butt hits the ground and then the reward should be issued with a slight delay. By giving the reward when you issue the marker you are creating unnecessary movement in the dog.

This... You're definitely moving your hand to deliver the treat before the marker in some instances. I also second the questions and comments in T-Pines post.

Good looking pup Darrin and certainly some nice work from you (don't take the critiques the wrong way).

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    What else do you see?
    Them croc shoes are just not doing it !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Darrin, while I understand that you are resetting and doing reps, for me it is way too much scooting around the floor to be associated with the "sit" command. A little over sensitive here maybe?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

Angus has been offering the sit behavior very readily the last day or so, with or without my body language cuing him to do it. This is what I want. I want a dog that approaches for my attention, engaging with me in a front sit posture (as opposed to jumping or any other annoying thing he might do to get my attention).

Here, I'm just anticipating his sit and labeling the behavior, which it looks like he's picked up very well, except that there's not been nearly enough repetitions for that to be possible. He looks like he's responding to my command when in fact, he was going to sit anyway. I'm just putting a label on it.
    The real story:

Darrin has been offering me food very readily the last day or so with or without me cuing him. This is what I want. I want an owner that comes and stands in front of me with food(as opposed to one with an empty hand saying sit).
    It looks like he is catching on but he need more repetitions to lable it behavior. He looks likes he's responding by bringing me food when in fact I know I'm going eat sooner or later anyway. For now I'll lable it learning.

Agnus
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 03-20-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

PM sent

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    The real story:

Darrin has been offering me food very readily the last day or so with or without me cuing him. This is what I want. I want an owner that comes and stands in front of me with food(as opposed to one with an empty hand saying sit).
    It looks like he is catching on but he need more repetitions to lable it behavior. He looks likes he's responding by bringing me food when in fact I know I'm going eat sooner or later anyway. For now I'll lable it learning.

Agnus
    LOL OK Tim so now you give the pup all kinds of compliments for manipulating my behavior but then you make him into a woman? I think it's spelled Agnes actually

And yes, your'e right, he thinks he's training me right now, and that's just the way I want it.
    Darrin Greene

Good looking pup, and he's not even black.

There's a story to the Angus/Agnes thing....not to derail the thread, but:

A good friend of mine who is also a veterinarian got a Chessie pup from me a year and a half ago. He was an Army Ranger before going to vet school. When he brought his pup back here for training, I kidded him that since I was his pup's drill sergeant, I'd call him Agnes instead of Angus when he needed demoralizing. It has since become a sort of running joke.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    The real story:

Agnus
    HA! Ha! HA! That was hilarious! I'm sure my dogs are saying that about me all the time!!

OK Darrin, the opinion of a newbie.

First off, like others said - your timing sucks. You fail to have the puppy "sit" directly in the front position. Every time you tell the dog to sit you could just as easily say "here" and give the treat as soon as he takes that forward step and then sits down (you were teaching the here command actually). You continue to treat the dog with your right hand instead of rotating hands so the dog starts "expecting" from the same place. The dog is rewarded for sitting on your right side mostly (are you left handed). Is that where your going to heel the dog? Finally when you release the dog you gave the "OK" command with a big swing of the same hand and arm you were feeding treats with, suggesting a treat on every OK.

On a good note - I didn't see a "lazy" sit anywhere. LOL