The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to find a substitute for BB bumper

Default Need to find a substitute for BB bumper

Has anyone found a bumper that works for bumper boys? I have a friend that has lost a couple of bumpers and needs to find something that will work since Bumper Boy went out of business.

I couldn't find anything on this in a search. If there was already a thread on this please be kind enough to reply with a link.

Thanks!
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

I second that request.

You might want to try this. Have not seen one in person but it sounds relatively simple. Get a standard 3" bumper with the air valve. Take the metal insert from the BB bumper. Cut hole in bottom of 3" bumper and insert metal insert and position the washer on the outside of the new bumper. Cut your hole smaller than the diameter of the insert and cram the metal shaft with the washer on the outside. Use a water proof adhesive to fix the washer to the bottom of the bumper. At the air valve insert, pull out the inflation mechanism and fill bumper with foam in a can. Add streamers and rope. Once again I have not seen one in person, but the reports I have heard on the ones that have been done have been positive. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by choch2odog; 03-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.

are they the same as the Retriev R trainer bumpers? http://www.lcsupply.com/Canvas-Bumpe...oductinfo/RCD/
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Lion Country said those will work on BB, but they are very light…need to weigh them down or use different loads than what you use for BB bumpers.

Meredith

Gun dogs on line has em both, standard and super birds
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Gun dogs on line has em both, standard and super birds

It's showing them out of stock. And I'm assuming they won't be re-upping with the closure of BB. Bummer...

I've used the retriever trainer bumpers with my BB.They are lighter so use a lighter charge green instead of yellow. Ask me how I know that?.
    OK I'll tell you.Yellow charge launched the metal tube clean thru the bumper!!.Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    Has anyone found a bumper that works for bumper boys? I have a friend that has lost a couple of bumpers and needs to find something that will work since Bumper Boy went out of business.

I couldn't find anything on this in a search. If there was already a thread on this please be kind enough to reply with a link.

Thanks!
    Jeannie - Dokken makes a Dead Fowl launcher dummy that is actually better than a bumper boy bumper for realism. Kinda pricey at $39 each but there's no other choice and BB was charging $30 before they folded.

Good Luck!

John & Deb
    Deb & John Lenon
    www.mamaslabs.com
    Wildwood, MO
    "In God & Labs We Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by my2ylws View Post
    Jeannie - Dokken makes a Dead Fowl launcher dummy that is actually better than a bumper boy bumper for realism. Kinda pricey at $39 each but there's no other choice and BB was charging $30 before they folded.

Good Luck!

John & Deb
    I'll second that. I have a couple of the Dokken teal. They are small, and the heads break off, but they work well with my BB's. I tie streamers to them where the head used to be.