The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lest we forget - dog foods

Default Lest we forget - dog foods

I have opened RTF the last few days and see and also appreciate all these discussions about various options to feed our teammates. Prehaps so much has been written in the past that all has been said however lets not forget Purina.

Purina has a great product with good service and many of our titled dogs of today and the past have been fueled by Purina. However just as important to the sport is Purina's unwavering support in so many ways! National events, the Hall of Fame, the High Point awards and then right at our club level ; the weekend events.

While thier products are good and they have a nice intiative these "other foods" don't give back to the sport like Purina.

I respect your decisions to feed other foods but please don't forget who stays with us !
    Dk

That's why I go Purina
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Maybe they could put some meat into their products. Just saying, this new Purina, is not your old Purina.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Maybe they could put some meat into their products. Just saying, this new Purina, is not your old Purina.
    Or at least lower there price to match the quality..

While I do appreciate all Purina does for the sport, that is not enough of a reason for me to feed it to my dogs. If it came down to two equal quality foods and one supported our sport while the other did not, I would certainly choose the one that supports us. Unfortunately I do not find this to be the case and choose the food I am more comfortable feeding to my dogs.

Been using Purina Pro Plan for 30 years, never a problem. They need to come up with a few promotional items up here in Canada though.

This is an honest question: Are they "supporting" our sport in more ways than just "Advertising to a target market"?

Advertising costs money no matter what. May as well spend money donating canopies, food, hats etc to events where lots of dog people congregate.

Again, I don't know, maybe they do more than that.

On another note, it's hard for me to respect a company that sells a product called "Purina Moist Meaty Burger" that is "100% complete and balanced nutrition" but has these first 7 ingredients:

1. Beef By Products 2. Soy grits 3.Soy flour 4. High Fructose Corn Syrup 5.water 6. wheat flour 7. Corn syrup

While I realize it's the buyer of the food that is responsible for educating themselves. I have two different clients who fed this food to their dog because they trusted the Purina name and trusted the quote on the box that it was "complete and balanced". When I pointed out the ingredients, they recoiled in horror.

On the other hand, I have another client with an 11 yr old Golden in great health who has been fed Purina dog chow his whole life. Go figure.

Just because Purina (who is a massive arm of a multinational (aka Nestle) company who reduces human food waste through its pet food line) sponsors the field and hunting arena does not mean that I am willing to feed my dog that garbage or support their share holders interests. If you are blinded by the motives that Purina has by throwing money at events that give them advertising that many other smaller companies simply cannot afford (maybe because they put more money back into their ingredients!) then I feel sorry for you. Do you think for one minute that the dog who wins best in show is eating Purina at Westminster! Heck no, most eat better than I do.

Corn is cheap, is used as a filler, and provides sub par nutrition end of story. The meat that goes into their dog food lines are leftover scraps not safe for human consumption from their own human food product lines. All of the evidence is there whether you open your eyes or not is up to you (look and read USDA guidelines for pet food that allows it). If you want to feed your dog Purina, go for it. But don't pretend for one second that Purina sponsors these events out of the goodness of their heart.

Others don't give back to the sport because their profit margins are already tight! They put the money into the food you feed your dog. Purina puts it into advertising and their share holders pockets.

Using ProPlan Performance for my 4 yo, 12 yo on PPWeight Management and ProPlan Puppy for Mickey 20 weeks and my 9mos old will be on PPP. All 3 doing well. My 12 yo has had the food all those years; looks gray but great. Great stools and energy!!!Easy and convenient to buy. Yes I attended a seminar and PP was involved, supported the event, had goodies and their rep there to speak with.

I always like to know more about when to feed if you show FT or go into events such as agility. I like to know about the ratios: Protein to Fat etc. Just wish I could use those circles I save on the bags. I buy the American PP and live in Canada. I can't get registered on the American PP site and I don't think the circles would count in Canada. And don't plan to change foods. I do give the fellows some home cooking!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

I fed Pro Plan back before they stuck the Purina on it. It was a quality food. Now, there are a lot better options.

They 'give back' because it is effective target marketing, as evidenced by the folks that support them because of it. I have no problems with that. It is your money and if you want to buy a product because you like the ads, have at it.

I do have problems with Nestle though, primarily because of their destruction of coldwater habitat through their bottled water subsidiaries, although there are many reasons not to like that particular company.