The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lest we forget - dog foods

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I don't care what Purina's motivation is for supporting field events. If it wasn't for their support a lot of these field events would have a great deal of difficulty standing on their own.
    Which field events would not stand on their own? Serious question. Folks talk about all the great support but I have never seen or heard of Purina sponsoring a weekend FT or HT--and I have asked them to. Sure they sponsor some pros and the nationals but would they really fail without Purina? How much do they give and how much would entry fees have to increase if Purina stopped sponsoring? However much it is don't you think the folks that run in the nationals would pay it without batting an eye?

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I just lost a Golden that was a little bit short of 17 years old, she ate Pro Plan her whole life. Lost my other boy a year earlier, he was a few days short of 14 years old, also ate Pro Plan.
    That's good enough proof for me that it's a decent food, despite any marketing, internet hype, or blogs with an agenda that might say otherwise. But to each their own.

my childhood dogs (who are living with my dad) are a 14 year old Jack Russel/Rat terrier mix and a 13 year old chocolate lab that is overweight by 50 pounds. fed Ol'Roy everyday of their life until the last year when my dad became a distributor for victor.

this would be like saying John Smith smoked a pack a day since he was 14 and lived till he was 92 (i know such an example).

genetics pre-dispositions people, dogs, etc for longer lives

speaking of dog food. i was in kroger the other day and made my normal joke to my wife when we went by the kroger brand "Ol Yeller". it goes something like "so you name a dog food after a dog that got rabies and had to be shot...and you put his picture on the bag. i'm really inspired to buy that food"

anyway i saw a guy loading up 20 bags of it in the back of his truck. asked him what kind of dogs he had he said beagles and coon dogs. when i fed my dog (Victor 30/20) that night i said "you better act right in texas this weekend or your going on the Ol'Yeller diet"
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 03-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I have no idea how much sponsors like Purina, Eukanuba, Avery, Move the Dog, Tritronics etc. provide as I have not organized the events, but I am grateful for their support. Every little bit helps. Purina has sponsored the dinners at several workshops that I have attended, the dinner at the Vancouver Lardy workshop that I attended was particularly memorable (hats off to that club). I see bumpers, food and ecollars that sponsors have donated to raffles. I got a Tritronics receiver in my goodie bag at the Lardy workshop, pretty nice IMHO. I see food, hats and other supplies donated by sponsors at many events. I am really grateful for their support and I try to buy their products because of it, which is what they hope for, but since someone is going to profit from my purchases I prefer it be a sponsor of our sport.
    Last edited by mitty; 03-21-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Renee P

Man, I finally broke down and switched to pro plan because a lot of people and the big time pros recommend it and now everybody is bashing Purina. I have fed Euk for a long time and REALLY liked it but the 35 % increase in price has killed me. Switched to Pro Plan because I cant seem to find anything better. Been feeding it for about a month now and so far all is well. I refuse to buy the gimmicky crap that is marketed for what people think their dog needs. fruits and veggies or the all natural crap that cost an arm and a leg. Some looks ok but is as expensive or more so than Euk and if I'm going to pay the price I will feed Euk.
    My advice to anyone looking to switch food is do not start or read any of these dog food threads. It certainly does not help' in fact it makes matters worse. My dogs eat sticks and bugs and rocks and mice and various forms of s#!t and just about anything they can get their lips on so I don't think pro plan is going to hurt them any and if Purina sponsors an event here and there then I figure its just a bonus. People that put purina down for this being a marketing ploy are probably just falling for a different marketing ploy. Humans, no wonder I like my dogs so much.

http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.ca/...s-not-bad.html

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/e...et_food_labels

There are many articles one can bring forward to dispute pros and cons of fillers. Each person has to pick the food best for their dog that works based on the type of work your dog performs. I personally would be very cautious of the high protein content listed (42-38%) in some food. Your dog would have to be very active. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I fed Pro Plan back before they stuck the Purina on it. It was a quality food. Now, there are a lot better options.

They 'give back' because it is effective target marketing, as evidenced by the folks that support them because of it. I have no problems with that. It is your money and if you want to buy a product because you like the ads, have at it.

I do have problems with Nestle though, primarily because of their destruction of coldwater habitat through their bottled water subsidiaries, although there are many reasons not to like that particular company.

I personally have a lot of problems with some companies so called environmental practices!!!!IMO
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Uncle Ray

I've fed ProPlan for years, and all the dogs do very well on it. I do get a chuckle when I go to an event and watch the folks who are so anti-Purina still make sure to scoop up their little bag of free ProPlan anyway.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Here is a little blurb about Purina. Of course, it is put out by Purina so there is a bias; however, the numbers are real. They give back not only to the dog hunt tests, field trials, and dogs shows (where advertising can be argued as the sole purpose), but also donate to shelters and rescue groups, etc. if you have the time, it's an interesting read. Of course, I am a PPP supporter, but I learned something from this....

http://www.purina.com/media/403300/2...t_Americas.pdf

There are four dog food companies out there that not only give back to our 4-legged buddies, but also lead the way in pet food nutrition research (Purina, Hill's, Royal Canin, and Iams). Call any of these companies to ask questions about their ingredients, and you will have your answer. The Big 4 know what they put in their foods and back it up by their own research or the research of others. I'm not saying that the smaller guys put out a less quality food, but what the bag says is not always true. In my nutrition class, our professor brought in a big box of various types of food (big 4 included) with a total of about 20 brands. I cannot remember the exact brands, unfortunately. However, our assignment was to call the telephone number on the bag to investigate the process in which their company makes the food, what ingredients they use (even though it says on the bag), and the source of their ingredients. When I called, I expected to speak to a computer or secretary; however, the "computer" I spoke with was a voicemail to a personal cell phone that said "hello, this is Steven, I'm sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message with a phone number and I will get back to you as soon as I get a chance".

The interesting thing about pet food, or human food, for that matter, is that each dog (or human) digests foods differently. Some dogs can handle PPP, some dogs can't. I always like to use the example that my brother can go to B-dubs and eat 30 wings with no problem; my stomach can't handle one bite!

Find a food company that you trust, but do your research. Know what the ingredients are and where they come from. Also, know what the ingredients do, and if the "fillers" are actually bad, or if it is just a fad or myth that is started by other novel companies as a marketing strategy. My professor always said, if you want to start a dog food company and not do the research to support it, get a degree in marketing and business; a well put together bag of dog food on the outside is enough to convince most people that your foood is superior.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I've fed ProPlan for years, and all the dogs do very well on it. I do get a chuckle when I go to an event and watch the folks who are so anti-Purina still make sure to scoop up their little bag of free ProPlan anyway.
    Agree!!!!!Freebie!
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Man, I finally broke down and switched to pro plan because a lot of people and the big time pros recommend it and now everybody is bashing Purina. I have fed Euk for a long time and REALLY liked it but the 35 % increase in price has killed me. Switched to Pro Plan because I cant seem to find anything better. Been feeding it for about a month now and so far all is well. I refuse to buy the gimmicky crap that is marketed for what people think their dog needs. fruits and veggies or the all natural crap that cost an arm and a leg. Some looks ok but is as expensive or more so than Euk and if I'm going to pay the price I will feed Euk.
    My advice to anyone looking to switch food is do not start or read any of these dog food threads. It certainly does not help' in fact it makes matters worse. My dogs eat sticks and bugs and rocks and mice and various forms of s#!t and just about anything they can get their lips on so I don't think pro plan is going to hurt them any and if Purina sponsors an event here and there then I figure its just a bonus. People that put purina down for this being a marketing ploy are probably just falling for a different marketing ploy. Humans, no wonder I like my dogs so much.
    When Pro Plan first came out it changed the way we looked at Performance dog food. It was the best in the market place. It is not today. New machinery has allow Pet Food Manufacturers to add more meat into kibble with out it clogging up the dies that shape the kibble pieces.

Today in the performance dog food market place brands like Dr. Tim, Victor, Red Paw, all make superior diets for Canine Athletes. Pro Plan and Euk have not dedicated themselves to being number 1. They have rested on their laurels.

It is nice to have brand loyalty... The company loves people who will not change what they have been doing. But time does not stand still. Better products emerge that can give your dog in edge in the games we play with our dogs. Be it mushing, field trials, or just hunting with your best friend.

Sadly for those loyal Euk and Purina customers the inferior products just keep raising their prices, and lowering the meat content.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.